PDA

View Full Version : spokeshave question

John Keeton
02-22-2009, 5:58 PM
I have purchased these spokeshaves as a part of a multi tool purchase that I have not yet received. The newer, and smaller one, is the Veritas flat spokeshave - that one is easy. The other is also Veritas, but apparently not a current model. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, one or both of these may end up for sale. I already have the Veritas low angle, and won't need to keep all of these.

Joel Goodman
02-22-2009, 6:01 PM
I believe that the lower tool is the Veritas version of the Stanley 80 cabinet scraper.

John Keeton
02-22-2009, 6:05 PM
Joel, that was quick! Checked LV website, and I think you are dead on. Did not think to look at scrapers. Thanks!

Jim Koepke
02-22-2009, 6:13 PM
By the way, one or both of these may end up for sale. I already have the Veritas low angle, and won't need to keep all of these.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

How could you do such a thing?

jim :D:D:D

Mark Singer
02-22-2009, 6:52 PM
The # 80 is a scraper and not a spokeshave. It is worth keeping. The LV low angle is the bet of the lot. Also the LV spokeshave kit yields a fine tool with excellent adjustment. I used zebra for the body and it is a great spokeshave!

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49710&cat=1,50230&ap=1

Bill Houghton
02-22-2009, 6:55 PM
By the way, one or both of these may end up for sale.

I haven't used the LV low angle spokeshave that I received as a gift much yet (been spending WAY too much time on carpentry), but it seems optimized for cross grain, while the other Veritas shave you've got there is of a design dynamite for long grain, like shaving a tool handle or chair spindle.

As was mentioned, the other is a cabinet scraper, such as you might use for scraping a flat panel.

Think for a bit before selling, unless your goal is to have a minimalist kit.

John Keeton
02-22-2009, 7:07 PM
Mark, never really thought about making a spokeshave, but that looks like a neat little project. I may have to try that - thanks!!

Bill, I am sort of a minimalist - and, just a real apprentice at this neander thing. So, I am moving along, trying various things, and keeping those I like. Seems most that post here in the Neander forum are collectors (aka hoarders;)) But, I just don't seem to be made that way, but I love using the tools I have!

Dave Anderson NH
02-22-2009, 7:48 PM
Making a shave is a great project and a lot of fun John. The LV full sized and smal shave kits are both excellent. You can also make a shave from scratch using one of Ron Hock's blades in either the full or small sizes. The great thing about making your own shave is that it is your choice of wood and it's made and styled to fit you and you alone.

I've probably made a dozen shaves over the years and I taught a class for our NH Guild one year on making the LV shave. Had a great time.

Jim Dunn
02-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Of all my hand tools the one I most often reach for is the Stanley 80 scraper. Once it's adjusted it is sweeeeeeeeeeet. And generally easy to use.

Casey Gooding
02-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I have all of the Lee Valley/Veritas spokeshaves. I only have good things to say about them.
Enjoy. They're great!!

John Keeton
02-23-2009, 7:04 AM
Thanks for the encouragement to keep these. I will certainly try them for a bit before making a decision to sell. I have the Veritas blade holder for my scraper blade, and I do use it a lot. The #80 may work better.

I do very little work that requires a spokeshave, so I am not sure I will need to keep both of them, although Bill brings up a good point on the grain issue with the low angle and the other.

I ended up getting the low angle a few months back mostly on Mark Singer's previous postings stating that one was his favorite.

Mark Singer
02-23-2009, 9:28 AM
John,
The #80 is good after joining boards as in a panel , to flush the boards and remove glue line excess. I don't like running a nice plane over a glue line. It also can tackle tough grain with the steep angle. I fine set is best with this tool. You can do a lot of damage if you get carried away. Spokeshaves are kind of like rasps, often you need to change to another one based on the wood or the curve.