PDA

View Full Version : My Wood is Weeping!

Russ Filtz
07-11-2004, 5:58 PM
Been finishing some cherry shelves with a Tung/thinner mix. Have about 4-5 coats on with 24-hr drying between. Added a little poly to the mix for last nite's coat. Today is pretty warm and humid and I thought the heat would help dry everything out. Instead, when I went out to check, some of the oil is frothing out of the wood! I wipe it off, and the wood immediately looks wet again in places. I assume the heat is forcing the oil back out and all I have to do is wipe periodically? I would have thought most of the tung would be cured by now, guess not?

Russ Filtz
07-12-2004, 9:27 AM
Seems to have stopped now. Either the excess oil is all gone, or finally cured. Flooded on the first couple coats, but the last several had been thin wipe-on. I've never had this happen before. Usually just keep wiping on coats and rubbing off after an hour or so with no bleeding later. Wonder if the wood is saturated, or if it's just the heat and humidity?

Chris DeHut
07-12-2004, 9:41 AM
Hi Russ,

I had the same thing happen on a large table top a few years back. I believe the heat causes the excess (uncured) oil to bubble up to the top surface.

I caught this problem before applying the top coats. To deal with it, I just wiped the surface down with some mineral spirits a couple of times over the next few days befor moving on with finishing.

The table is fine and there are no signs of the troubles I had with the experience. I would suggest letting it dry for a few more days though.

Chris DeHut

Howard Acheson
07-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Weeping is entirely normal. Heating the wood will cause it to happen even more. Just keep wiping.

Now, if you are using real, 100% tung oil, be aware that it takes a very long time to cure. We're talking months. So, stop applying and let it set for a while.

Russ Filtz
07-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Yes it's rockler 100% mixed with some mineral spirits (about 1/2 each). I usually follow that up with 1/3 mix of oil/spirits/poly. I guess in the past the poly setup quick enough to seal in the oil. Then again, I typically didn't flood the first coats like I tried this time. Usually just go with thin wipe on coats.

Howard Acheson
07-12-2004, 1:20 PM
>>Usually just go with thin wipe on coats.

That's the best way followed by a vigorous wiping to dry as much as possible.