PDA

View Full Version : Two Stepstools

Michael O'Sullivan
02-22-2009, 5:44 PM
Here are a couple of stepstools I just did.

The first is maple and walnut with a clear shellac finish.

The second is based on a recent FWW -- I made it out of cherry and walnut, rather than maple. I finished it with a shellac sealcoat, BLO and then amber shellac. In retrospect, I should have used mixed in some clear shellac coats with the amber, as I think it got a little too dark.

I am also not sure how wise shellac is as a finish for a stepstool, but I figured it would be easier to repair than varnish. Also, I like how it looks better.

Jim Becker
02-23-2009, 11:31 AM
These are really nice. No worries on the shellac...it's more durable than some folks think and as you say, easy to repair.

Ted Calver
02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Pretty darn sharp!!

Ken Higginbotham
02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Now your kids can hang their drawings on the wall above the wainscoting (sp?) :p

John Thompson
02-23-2009, 1:10 PM
Very nice Michael. And as noted.. very easy to repair with Shellac being about the easiest of all finishes IMO.

Sarge...

Norman Pyles
02-24-2009, 3:14 PM
I really like the second one. Got to put that on my to do list.

Jason Tuinstra
02-24-2009, 7:06 PM
You just can't go wrong with walnut and maple! Great job on both of them.

David Christopher
02-24-2009, 7:09 PM
both of them are nice.. I dont think it is too dark

Michael O'Sullivan
02-24-2009, 8:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I did most of the dovetails in a Leigh jig, and it probably would have been easier just to cut them by hand. Because of the front rails on the one stool, and the tapered bases on both, you can't just align the pieces with the side like you can in a normal situation. I followed the instructinos for asymmetrical DTs, and tried to use spacers to eliminate some guesswork, but there was still a lot of cleanup (and a little filling -- D'oh) to do.

Jim Kountz
02-24-2009, 8:42 PM
A couple of cool stools!!