PDA

View Full Version : Makita LS1013 help

Michael Helms
02-22-2009, 3:24 PM
I'm new here, hoping to find someone able to send/post a photo of the underside of their Makita LS1O13. I'm a recent victim of a burglary, lost my old, old, makita chop saw and bought a display model LS1013L at Home Depot to replace my stolen antique. The new saw was stripped of various small parts during its life on the rack so they sold it to me for $200.00 without them. I ordered all the items I could determine were gone from ToolBarn for about $80.00, but I've had no experience with this model, and I'm unsure I can assemble it correctly so that the slider lock works using just the exploded Makita diagram I downloaded for reference. I'm hoping I can persuade someone with one of these saws and a digital camera to photograph the underside of their saw and post or email a photo to me. Specifically, I'm interested in the "Lock Lever" (#152 in the parts diagram - it looks like the crank for starting an old model T you see in silent movies). I think this locks the rotation of the cut angle adjustment. I have a long coil spring that slips over its shaft, but don't know in exactly what manner/order. The inner knob/assembly (#180 in the parts diagram) that I believe locks the slider is also a bit of a mystery. It doesn't seem to function without the lever and its accompanying parts (or some other missing items?) in place. The blade was also lost, and due to my limited experience with sliding saws, I'm not sure how important it is to have a dedicated low-tooth-angle sliding saw blade. I guess these limit surface tear-out on the top of sliding cuts?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Mike

email: seekir at aloha dot net

Craig T. Smith
02-22-2009, 3:44 PM
Michael, I don't know anything about your saw, But wanted to Welcome you to the Creek. There are a lot of good guys here that should be able to help. Welcome. Craig

Michael Helms
02-22-2009, 3:58 PM
Hey Craig,
Appreciate the welcome, I'm sure the forum's resources and experienced users will be very handy. Maybe I'll even be able to help someone else out in the future. Thanks,

Mike

Trace Beard
02-22-2009, 4:24 PM
I'm new here, hoping to find someone able to send/post a photo of the underside of their Makita LS1O13. I'm a recent victim of a burglary, lost my old, old, makita chop saw and bought a display model LS1013L at Home Depot to replace my stolen antique. The new saw was stripped of various small parts during its life on the rack so they sold it to me for $200.00 without them. I ordered all the items I could determine were gone from ToolBarn for about $80.00, but I've had no experience with this model, and I'm unsure I can assemble it correctly so that the slider lock works using just the exploded Makita diagram I downloaded for reference. I'm hoping I can persuade someone with one of these saws and a digital camera to photograph the underside of their saw and post or email a photo to me. Specifically, I'm interested in the "Lock Lever" (#152 in the parts diagram - it looks like the crank for starting an old model T you see in silent movies). I think this locks the rotation of the cut angle adjustment. I have a long coil spring that slips over its shaft, but don't know in exactly what manner/order. The inner knob/assembly (#180 in the parts diagram) that I believe locks the slider is also a bit of a mystery. It doesn't seem to function without the lever and its accompanying parts (or some other missing items?) in place. The blade was also lost, and due to my limited experience with sliding saws, I'm not sure how important it is to have a dedicated low-tooth-angle sliding saw blade. I guess these limit surface tear-out on the top of sliding cuts?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Mike

email: seekir at aloha dot net

I'll post a pic when I get back from a Mardi Gras parade.

Anything in particular besides the underneath of the saw?

Trace

Michael Helms
02-22-2009, 5:25 PM
Originally posted by Trace Beard
I'll post a pic when I get back from a Mardi Gras parade.

Anything in particular besides the underneath of the saw?

Thanks Trace! I'm hoping I'll be able to see the assemblies that lock the rotation of the base and (especially) the locking mechanism of the sliding carriage that is under the base.

Strange, I feel I may have seen the sinister-looking man in your Avatar in some dark era of my past. The moniker "Hedgehog" comes to mind for some reason.

Anyway, I know my request is not an easy one to fill, I appreciate your offer, and hope you had fun at the parade.

Mike

Michael Wildt
02-22-2009, 7:06 PM
Not sure if this will help:

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/makita/LS1013
http://www.woodnet.net/plansnow/review-mitersaws.pdf

Michael

Michael Helms
02-23-2009, 2:01 AM
Got the first already, the .pdf is interesting, but doesn't have the sort of below-deck photo I need. But thanks anyway Michael.

Michael Helms
02-24-2009, 4:12 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone, especially Trace, who made a real effort and sent me some photos of his saw. I think that I've got the problem sussed. Couldn't have done it alone.

Mike