PDA

View Full Version : Beam Style Bench - FWW Tools & Shops #202

Adam Leone
02-22-2009, 3:12 PM
I just started ripping some pieces to build the beam-style "bench" shown in the FWW Tools & Shops issue a few months ago. Has anyone built it or something similar before? If so, do you have any tips or modifications? I do know that Bob Lang has written a short article about what he calls the shop box system.

It is a pretty straightforward design but it caught my eye as a flexible solution while I am assembling a garage shop. I've made one of my beams a bit wider than the plans but otherwise, I'll probably stay true to what the author (Joshua Finn) recommends.

Tom Henderson2
02-22-2009, 7:59 PM
I saw that article too, and it looked like the ideal solution for those of us that don't have a spot to put a full-sized bench.

So by all means, post photos and share your experience as you go forward. I hope to do the same thing later this year.

-TH

Peter Quinn
02-22-2009, 9:50 PM
I have not built that exact system, but at work we have a series of small saw horses and frequently use these as a basis to fashion different size and height assembly benches to suit a particular project. Generally involves some stout 12/4 poplar and MDF I beams. It strikes me as a great idea for a shop that tackles a variety of different size work. Very flexible, there when you need it, gone when you don't. It doesn't take the place of a solid stationary bench where I'm at, but I suppose it could perform many of those functions if made with those rigid torsion beams as in the article.

I intend to build something similar this spring though I am considering keeping it simpler as I intend to use it mainly as an assembly bench to make passage doors in multiples. I think the box beam concept is solid, you might consider making different sized saw horses so you can adjust the bench height to suit the work. I find a lower bench height better suits cases and larger work. Consider the height or size of your average work when building the bases so that the work is placed at a comfortable height.