PDA

View Full Version : I actually made a piece of furniture.....

Bill Huber
02-22-2009, 3:09 PM
I have made boxes, cutting boards, so outdoor chairs and a few other things and now I have made a real piece of furniture.

I do not have a lot of stereo equipment and didn't want a big entrainment center. I also wanted it to match the tables I and bought a few years ago.

I used red oak for it and looking back that was the wrong wood to use, the grain just did not match the gain of the ones I have. Its not a big deal, the other are across the room so its not like a sore thumb sticking out.

All joints are doweled with the DowelMax, even each of the square post. I mainly put the dowel in the post for aliment at glue up time, just didn't know any other way to keep the lined up. The top is not attached at all, there are just 4 small blocks under it on each side to keep it centered.

And use the speakers don't match the table but they are going to be replace in the near future.

110968 110969

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2009, 3:25 PM
And a nice looking piece of furniture it is too Bill! Nicely done! I need to do the same thing.

gary Zimmel
02-22-2009, 3:28 PM
Great looking entertainment center Bill.

Everything looks nice and tidy...

And congrats on the first piece of real furniture.
Looking forward to the next.

Paul Greathouse
02-22-2009, 3:46 PM
Great looking piece Bill, I like the design and Red Oak is one of my favorite woods to work with. What finish did you use?

Bob Childress
02-22-2009, 3:53 PM
Very nice Bill. There's nothing like building your own furniture. :)

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-22-2009, 4:27 PM
Bill, I think you did a fabulous job! I can't wait to see your forthcoming pieces!

frank shic
02-22-2009, 4:43 PM
can't imagine trying to cut all those mortise and tenon joints by hand :eek: good job, bill!

Bruce Page
02-22-2009, 5:54 PM
Nice job Bill. What finish did you use?

Bill Huber
02-22-2009, 6:08 PM
Thank you ALL for your comments, it makes you feel really go to get comments like that and makes you want to keep building.

I am planning and drawing and planning and drawing some more on a blanket chest, that's what the wife wants. If I get started now I may be able to get it done my Christmas.

Thanks again to All...

Bill Huber
02-22-2009, 6:13 PM
Great looking piece Bill, I like the design and Red Oak is one of my favorite woods to work with. What finish did you use?

I used General Finishes, Arm-R-Seal, Semi-Gloss, 3 or 4 coats.

I work with Red Oak some but the grain is so open and I like a tighter grain wood.

John Keeton
02-22-2009, 6:52 PM
Bill, it may not match what you have, but I think the red oak looks great, and I really like the style. Great idea leaving the top unattached. Makes it so much easier to fool with the components, wires, etc.

can't imagine trying to cut all those mortise and tenon joints by hand :eek: good job, bill!And, that is why Bill has a Dowel Max and we have Domino's Frank:D

Bill Huber
02-22-2009, 9:47 PM
Bill, it may not match what you have, but I think the red oak looks great, and I really like the style. Great idea leaving the top unattached. Makes it so much easier to fool with the components, wires, etc.

And, that is why Bill has a Dowel Max and we have Domino's Frank:D

Thanks John, I do have a question I don't want to start anything and I am just asking. How small of a tenon will a Domino drill, can you control how wide of a slot it makes?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks John, I do have a question I don't want to start anything and I am just asking. How small of a tenon will a Domino drill, can you control how wide of a slot it makes?

Is this one of those "how many chuck would a woodchuck chuck...if a woodchuck could chuck wood" questions?
:D

Bill Huber
02-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Is this one of those "how many chuck would a woodchuck chuck...if a woodchuck could chuck wood" questions?
:D

But can a woodchuck chuck wood like a Domino can, so can I just get a woodchuck and do all my tenons with it?
Can I get a woodchuck on Amazon?
And then were do you connect the dust collector hose (or do I want to know)

Don Bullock
02-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Congratulations Bill. You did a super job. Don't worry about the wood not matching. In our house we have a lot of oak furniture and very few pieces match. It's not unusual.

John Thompson
02-22-2009, 11:34 PM
You did a very fine job on your first piece of real furniture. If you had not said so... I most definitely would have not guessed first by any means. But.. you may have opened a can of worms as if you are married.... she will ask soon what will be the second or might just give the command without asking. :)

Great job and you should be very proud...

Sarge..

Dewey Torres
02-23-2009, 1:41 AM
My Name is Dewey Torres and I am a Bill Huber fan:D

John Keeton
02-23-2009, 6:56 AM
How small of a tenon will a Domino drill, can you control how wide of a slot it makes? Bill, the smallest tenon is 5mm (thick) x 30 mm (wide). You change the thickness and depth of cut by changing bits and, if needed, a couple of very quick adjustments on the machine. I have only had my Domino a short while and still in the learning phase, although the learning curve is not steep.

Jim Becker
02-23-2009, 11:29 AM
And a fine piece of furniture it is... :)