PDA

View Full Version : Old Handsaws for Plywood?

Greg Crawford
02-22-2009, 1:36 PM
I have some Disston and Atkins handsaws, and was wondering how hard the glue in plywood is on their teeth. I know it's hard on router bits and other cutting tools. Would I be better off getting one of the modern hardened teeth saws for plywood and other sheet goods, and saving my good saws for solid wood?

I don't look forward to sharpening my saws with great anticipation, so I want them to stay sharp as long as possible.

Thanks,

Greg

Bill Houghton
02-22-2009, 2:07 PM
and never got the sense that the glue was ruining them. If you're looking at production - using a handsaw to cut all the ply for sheathing the houses in a development - then some research on the best saw would make sense. But if you're looking at occasional use, I wouldn't hesitate.

That said, I wouldn't use my best saw on it, necessarily, either.

One tip I saw somewhere that has proven out is to cut with the saw at as low an angle to the ply as you can manage. You need to start out at the usual 45 degrees, but then slant it down. This is a little slower, but results in a lot less chip out.

Matt Ranum
02-22-2009, 4:56 PM
Maybe a dumb question here but, since plywood is made of each ply or layer running perpendicular to each other.......

Would you use a rip or a cross cut?:confused:

Bill Houghton
02-22-2009, 7:00 PM
Would you use a rip or a cross cut?

I was taught that you can rip with a cross cut better than you can cross cut with a rip. Less tearout.