PDA

View Full Version : Lighting the workshop

Jim Lankford
02-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I've been reading posts here about lighting and It seems T8 fluorescents are the way to go! Are the small halogen not an option? If so, what wattage? You know how it is! Just looking for a cheaper way out, BUT I don't want to regret it down the road!

Wilbur Pan
02-22-2009, 1:23 PM
Just looking for a cheaper way out, BUT I don't want to regret it down the road!

In shop lighting, as with most things, TANSTAAFL. ;)

Anyway, one big difference between small halogens and fluorescent lights is that the small halogens are much more of a point light source, and will cause more issues with shadows.

Such lighting is good for certain applications, such as applying a raking light to check the surface of a board or turned object to see if any more sanding/planing/scraping needs to be done. But in general, the majority of light in your shop should be non-directional, such as fluorescent bulbs.

One other issue with halogens: hot bulb temperature + sawdust = potential fire hazard.

Rollie Meyers
02-22-2009, 2:09 PM
Halogen is good if you like loads of heat and like to spend (AKA waste) money by the wheelbarrow load, more or less just a incandescent on steroids. If one buys cheap fixtures, you will pay more in the end.

A bit of advice given to me: "Buy well, buy once".

Chip Lindley
02-22-2009, 7:08 PM
IF halogen were the Best Way To Go, WalMart would have them in every store! But, its miles of florescent tubes you see. Just before Sam died, I understand he took HALF the flourescent fixtures out of each store. That way he could run every other store for FREE! Hmm...