PDA

View Full Version : eBay cyclones. Anyone with info?

Michael Weber
02-22-2009, 12:15 PM
There is a gentlemen who makes and sells his own cyclones on eBay under the name eastcaroga. Comes in a 4 or 6 inch inlet size. Anyone have experience with one of these? The 6 incher is one of the options I am considering for my 12 inch 2HP Cincinnati blower. I do see he has sold many of them and has good feedback but was mainly wondering how these perform in comparison to some of the brand names and if the overall dimensions would lend themselves to effective collection. Just because he posts here I gotta say the other option is Phil Thien's baffle. Great work Phil. I'd love to see some video of what goes on inside your invention using a clear container of some sort.
Thanks, Mike

Bill Stoffels
02-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Michael,
Sorry not familiar with them , just installed an Oneida. one thing to consider is an aluminum impeller " non sparking"
My shop is in the basement of my house and did not want a "ember" situation.
Just something to keep in mind although remote I agree.
Bill

Michael Weber
02-22-2009, 2:20 PM
Thanks Bill. I'm in a detached garage. Still, wouldn't want it to burn down.

Brian Backner
02-22-2009, 4:15 PM
Michael,

If they are the ones I think you are referring to, they have been reviewed favorable on the Creek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97534

Brian

Michael Weber
02-22-2009, 7:26 PM
Michael,

If they are the ones I think you are referring to, they have been reviewed favorable on the Creek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97534

Brian

Thanks Brian, just what I was looking for.

Tom Veatch
02-22-2009, 7:50 PM
Michael,
Sorry not familiar with them , just installed an Oneida. one thing to consider is an aluminum impeller " non sparking"
My shop is in the basement of my house and did not want a "ember" situation.
Just something to keep in mind although remote I agree.
Bill

With a typical cyclone setup, unlike a single stage DC, there's very little danger of that. Since the impeller spins in essentially clean air, hardly anything impacts the impeller blades. Everything except the very smallest, lightest airborne particles are separated out before they reach the impeller; especially nuts, bolts, and other metallic objects.

Neal Flatley
02-23-2009, 4:41 PM
Mike
I purchased the 6 inch ( INPUT ) unit about 3 years ago and have been happy with it. I mounted on the wall and have a very short piece of flex hose feeding the trash can below, so I can empty the can easily without moving the cyclone.

I connect it to a JET 1200, via an adapter, since the cyclone's output is 7 inches and the JETs input is 6 inches.

Neal

Matt Benton
02-23-2009, 5:20 PM
I bought one a few months ago and mounted my HF 2 hp DC on top. I have been very impressed with it.

I was initially worried that at that price, it may not be heavy-duty enough, but it is quite sturdy...

Michael Weber
02-23-2009, 6:34 PM
Thanks Neal and Matt for the first hand experience information. Strongly considering it.

Matt Benton
02-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Attached are a few pics of my setup for anyone interested....

Randal Stevenson
02-24-2009, 2:22 AM
Attached are a few pics of my setup for anyone interested....

Matt, how about some specs (trash can size, total height)?

Matt Benton
02-24-2009, 9:28 AM
Randal,

The rods are 73", so the overall height is probably in the 82"-84" range. I can verify tonight.

The can is the Behrens 31 gallon galvanized can you can get at Lowes or HD. The rods are 1/2", 6' long threaded rods from Lowes.

Very straightforward construction. Cut 2 discs out of 3/4" mdf large enough to contain the can, cyclone and dc. Don't space the rods evenly, or you won't have room to remove the can.

I removed the outside cover on the DC, and used it as a template to drill holes in the top mdf circle, then bolted the dc to the mdf.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer...

Brian D Smith
03-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Matt,

back from the grave....

searching is wonderful isn't it?

2 questions.

do you use bags in the can with the bag hold down?
how did you construct the adapter that goes from the 6" motor housing to the 7" cyclone top? looks like a top hat haha...just wondering.

thanks!

Brian