PDA

View Full Version : Little shopping.........

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Yesterday was a VERY LONG DAY for several reasons.

Up since 2330 Friday night, we left yesterday morning at 0400 to drive to Spokane, WA to put our granddaughter and great-granddaughter on an airplane. As luck would have it, the first flight was canceled so we had a 4 hour delay. Luckily, close to the airport was a McDonald's with a playground. Little 2 1/2 year old great-granddaughter enjoyed herself and it worked out for our granddaughter as the little one slept all but the last 10 minutes of the flight. Tears filled our eyes at their departure.

We stopped by the Spokane Woodcraft on the way home. Just for general reference I bought one of the circular angle gauges. This one has a hole in it and will be attached by string to the sharpening station. The last one fell off onto the floor and got swept up with shavings and I believe it departed the area to the local compost plant.

I also bought some Beal 4" bowl buffs. I had the 2" for use on the Mini but I've been wanting 4" ones for some time.

At the wife's urging, I bought several acrylic pen blanks. Sharon likes colors and designs that I'm not particularly fond of...but she kept handing them to me. I also bought a teflon washer for use on the spindle to reduce the tendency of chuck binding. She also picked out a package of 4 exotic bottlestopper blanks. One of them is blackwood which I've never turned. That could happen today.

Looked at their selection of 12" disc sanders. I am reading Malcom Tibbetts books on segmented turning and Ray Allen's book by Dale Nish on segmented turning......I am currently in the whining mode to Sharon about a 12" disc sander. She will cave in shortly!:D

Bumped into a turner there who happens to be a building contractor. He was shopping with his wife. We compared notes and he had questions about bottlestoppers. He turns on a Oneway. His wife was encouraging him to start building furniture. My wife told his wife that "Of course, that means he'll need new tools!" I replied to him.."It a shame...they ask you to do all this stuff and then expect you to do it without the proper tools." We all had a good laugh!

I looked at the Steel City 8" jointer. The one I saw looked pretty good to me. They had a 6" PM jointer sitting next to it. While the Steel City wasn't Mustard...for the price difference....?

I looked for a 4" straight rest for my Sorby modular tool rest but they don't carry the Sorby modular tool rest.

We got home about 1700 after a stop at a local hamburger place. I retired to the bedroom about 2100. I turned out the bedside lamp about 2200. It's nearing 0900 and Sharon still hasn't woke up.

It was a long day!

Dewey Torres
02-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Ken,
Where you looking at the Delta 12" Disc sander for $224.

If so, I was looking at that yesterday as well. Looks like a nice machine.

David Christopher
02-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Ken, even tho it was tiring it sounds like you had a good time....any time in a woodcraft is a good time especialy if you get to buy stuff

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Dewey....they had two of those Deltas in the store in the box. The owner kept pushing me toward the Rikon equivalent which were out of stock and not expected to arrive until mid-March.:confused:

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Glad to hear you had a safe trip! Looking forward to seeing the blackwood project!

ROY DICK
02-22-2009, 5:56 PM
Ken,
Safe trips are good, but time with family is priceless. Glad you had a fine shopping trip.

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2009, 7:39 PM
Fitz sounds like a good time was had. I know about the long days.

Paul Douglass
02-22-2009, 7:42 PM
Been reading the same book (Tibbetts) and wishing the same thing (disk sander). Did you happen to look at the Rikon disc/belt sander? It is one of the combo that the belt and disc don't get in the way of each other. You may know but the assist mgr (John) at that wood craft is quite a turner himself. They have a turning club there.

Ken Glass
02-22-2009, 8:34 PM
Ken,
Lets see now.... Got to spend time with the Grand kids, bought turning stuff, saw some country side, talked to a fellow turner, ate some food ( not veggies either), looked at future purchases, prepared the wife for those purchases, and was in bed by 10 PM...... Could have gone better????

Steve Campbell
02-22-2009, 9:29 PM
Sounds like you had a long day. I was in my not so local Woodcraft about a month ago and was talking to one of the clerks. I noticed that the whole side of his face was puffy and red. He said he was turning Blackwood a few days earlier and had a real bad reaction. I don't know if that is common or not but thought I would pass this along. He said he was even wearing a dust mask.
Hope you read this before you turn.

Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Steve......Now you tell me.

I had a nice bottlestopper turned out of that b/s blank....Unfornately it is the first one I couldn't unscrew from my mandre. Very first one. In the end, I wrapped a rag around it and broke out the vice grips. Though it looked pretty.....it has tooth marks in it now. I'll keep it as a pattern.

Jeff Nicol
02-23-2009, 7:20 AM
Ken, Sounds like some of the days I have had except for the shopping! Need to go to a few stores soon or order some things on line, but it is nice to handle the items before purchase!

Have fun turning and get some rest!

Jeff

Steve Campbell
02-23-2009, 7:47 AM
Ken all you have to do now is take your vice grips and make a few more teeth marks on it and call it textured. I have a small strap wrench by my lathe for just that problem. The one I have has a rubber strap. works good. I think it is made for opening jars in the kitchen. I think I go it at Walmart.

Steve