PDA

View Full Version : shaker dresser

frank shic
02-22-2009, 11:19 AM
i raised the panels and cut the dovetails by hand. i cheated with the rails and used the domino although i think i'll try cutting those joints in the future by hand as well. i used blum solo undermount drawer slides and have discovered that they leave just enough clearance to place a 1/4" bead around the entire drawer opening although i had to sand the sides on a few of my drawers which probably weren't completely square.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/frank_shic/IMG_4150.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/frank_shic/IMG_4151.jpg

John Eaton
02-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Very nice - looks like you're keeping the natural finish?

-- John

frank shic
02-22-2009, 11:58 AM
yeh, i've played with conversion varnishes in the past but i really didn't want to pull out the entire rig just for this one dresser. i just used three coats of minwax poly satin finish.

John Keeton
02-22-2009, 1:47 PM
Good job Frank! Aren't the dovetails fun?

From some of your other posts, it sounds like you are still a "hybrid" neander - with the Domino, etc. I have one, too, and they sure make things easy.

Russ Massery
02-22-2009, 1:48 PM
Very nice, very clean looking and nice job on the dovetails.

frank shic
02-22-2009, 4:41 PM
thanks for the compliments guys. i would have shown more of the dovetails but i didn't joint the drawer fronts (3 out of 4 of them were wider than my jointer) flat so there's a gap between most of them and the drawer box :(

Mark Singer
02-22-2009, 6:19 PM
Very nice work! The final piece is terrific looking!

Michael O'Sullivan
02-22-2009, 6:24 PM
Is it made from white pine? I used WP for drawers with a dovetail jig, and had a really hard time keeping the edges crisp -- poplar works a lot better for me, and here it is a lot less than WP.

For cutting by hand, I bet WP would be nice, though.

Also, did you turn the knobs yourself? I like the look -- I may use some wood like that just for some small turnings.

Chris Ricker
02-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Beautiful job.
while not usually a big fan of WP, (it's usually stained) I think the natural beauty if the piece is highlighted by the finish and design.
Nice job!!, awesome dovetails!!

Glen Dion
02-23-2009, 5:05 AM
Hi Frank,

I thought you struck a nice balance with the dimensions.
Clean lines and solid craftsmanship come together nicely.
The raised side panels seem to provide just enough shadow lines for interest.
Did you conceive the plan or did you work off a cutlist\plan?

Bravo!
Glen

Jim Becker
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Frank, that's a really nice dresser. Wonderful work.

Von Bickley
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Frank,

Great looking piece of furniture. I'm sure that will become an heirloom......

Brent Ring
02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Frank,

Beautiful work - and very nice job on the handcut dovetails! An heirloom for the family for sure....

John Thompson
02-23-2009, 1:03 PM
Very nice with a good job on the DT's..

Sarge..

frank shic
02-23-2009, 2:19 PM
thanks for the encouragement, guys! i based the dresser over two dresser plans that i saw in the handberg book. i think i used the feet for one of them on the chest dimensions of another and threw on the raised panels just because i love them so much. i think i'll split the panels in the future though. although i'm constantly tempted to do flat panels, i almost always go back to raised panels because there's no way to fake raised panels whereas with flat panels you could use plywood as a substitute although i don't think they make pine 1/4" plywood here in my neck of the woods.

Cody Colston
02-23-2009, 3:54 PM
That's a wonderful piece, Frank. The beading around the drawers was a nice touch and the hand-cut dovetails look great. They are not easy to do in Pine.

frank shic
02-23-2009, 7:26 PM
cody, fitting the beading around the drawers and then fitting the drawer fronts took forever lol but i'm glad you appreciated the effort!

mike holden
02-23-2009, 8:04 PM
Nicely Done!

Pine is a gorgeous wood when treated properly - as you have.

Mike

Jason Tuinstra
02-24-2009, 7:15 PM
I like the use of the pine in this one. Very nice. Looks like it fits perfectly in the surroundings as well.

Jeff Wittrock
02-24-2009, 7:48 PM
I like working with pine, but my wife often turns her nose up at it.
I think if I show her a picture of what you have done she will change her mind.

A very fine job.

Carl Heidesch
02-24-2009, 10:55 PM
That looks great! I like the details. The finish will mellow to a nice light pumkin color in a few years. Nice work!

Carl