PDA

View Full Version : Jet/Performax 16-32

David Song
02-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi,

What is the going price for used in good shape 2003(6 years old) Jet/performax 16-32 drum sander? It has 4" dust port.

No feed tables but with casters.

Also does anyone how many horsepower this one might have?

Should I avoid sander this old?

thanks!

Jim Kountz
02-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Kinda hard to say, Ive seen them go really cheap from around $300 up to as high as $700 or more for one of that year. I would not be afraid of it just because its 6 years old, mine is 15 years old and runs like the day I got it. I like the 50% rule for things like this, half of the original price or better as a starting point for negotiations. Assuming its in good condition.

jim sauterer
02-22-2009, 10:58 AM
i paid 500.00 for 3 year old with infeed and outfeed tables and 3 boxes of paper plus moble base about 6 months ago.very happy with the unit.jim

keith ouellette
02-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I think I paid just over $300 for my used jet 16/32 and it was about 2 years old when i bought it.

Steve Mellott
02-22-2009, 3:33 PM
David:

The age of the sander is much less important than the condition. For example, was it used sparingly in a hobby shop or was it used full time in a cabinet shop? There have been several threads that tell you what to look for when buying a used Performax sander - you can probably find them by using the "Search" feature.

Several people in the forums have argued that the infeed/outfeed tables are not important. I don't own one, so I can't give you an opinion.

The horsepower will be either 1 HP or 1&1/2 HP. You can easily determine that by checking the plate on the motor. Personally, I would like to have the larger motor, but several posters own the smaller motor and seem to be happy with it.

Regarding the price, I've been looking for one for over a year. I've seen prices that have ranged from $350 (in very good condition with lots of extra paper) to $600. The one priced at $350 sold in 10 minutes (5 minutes before I arrived.) I think anything under $500 is considered a bargain (if the sander is in good condition.)

Good Luck!

Steve

David Song
02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
So I picked one up today for $525...slighly more than what you guys got yours for.

16x32", 1.5HP, 4" dust port, catering wheels, extra convayer belt, several sheets of sandpaper, no feed table.

Dewey Torres
02-23-2009, 1:54 AM
David...please give me a break:rolleyes:. This is a steal ....

Hard to buy the best and you just did. I have one and the thing is un-matched. Get it tuned and off she goes.

Caution:
DO NOT ADJUST LIKE A PLANER!!!

This is a finesse tool ok?

Rick Fisher
02-23-2009, 2:00 AM
Sounds like a good deal. 6 years old can be like brand new. If a hobby woodworker owned it, it could have 10 hours or less on it.

I bought a drum sander recently and paid a good buck for it used. It came with 8 x 100' rolls of klingspor drum sander paper. 3 of the rolls where not full ...

The paper is worth about $700.

Rob Diz
02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
You have some good advice here. Price varies, but the tool is always rock solid.

I purchased an older 16/32 sight unseen for $250. It had the 2 1/2 port, casters, tables and a little paper. I took a risk, and ended up with a nice unit. I have used it to flatten some panels recently and was very happy with how it performed, with the small DC and 1 HP.

I didn't "have to have one" and I watched CL like a hawk for over a year. If you want to get the tool, and don't want to take the risk on one that has been abused by a prior owner, figure on paying about half of new retail and just get one.

Due to the economy, I think more of these units are hitting CL. It seems that a drum sander is one of those tools people want to have, but when the need for money collides with tools that only see periodic use, the drum sanders seem to be one of the first tools to get listed.

There have been a number of options around the 600 range in my area, but fewer options if you were looking to save a few bucks.