PDA

View Full Version : i hit the motherload now with pics

curtis rosche
02-22-2009, 9:21 AM
at my church they are putting on an addition. the building is just over 200 years old. where they tied the addition to the exsiting, they tore out the old floor joists and put in new ones. i went dumpster diving yesterday and i got ALL:eek::D of the peices that are resonably turnable. now i have a stack of board that are 2 3/4'' thick, 10 ft long, and 11 board high. they include poplar maple and pine and a peice or two of oak. they are between 100 and 200 years old, as the last renivation was 100 years ago. so the wood is dry. it is old growth. the pine has very tight rings. oh yeah, and i got a log that is over 200 years old. the log is original for sure original because it still has most of the bark on it and was run through a planer on 2 sides. the log is red oak and is super super heavy and hard. the score of a life time. i will get pictures when i can.

now i have a perfect stash of dry square wood. it should last a couple months:D

update for pictures.
this is the stack, the boards are all 2 3/4 thick. they are full of cut nails and finishing nails, so ther should be some good mineral staining. the long log beside them is the red oak log i got that is well over 150years old. the last picture is a wood im not sure of, i think it is pine, but it is pink, it is hard and soft, it takes pressure to cut but chips easily. a chip tried to go through my hand. know what it is? pictures are at the bottom of this page also and on the next page

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2009, 9:31 AM
Congrats on the haul Curtis. Sounds like you have enough to keep you in business for some time to come. Now lets see some turning.

charlie knighton
02-22-2009, 10:02 AM
cool........

Barry Stratton
02-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Sounds impressive!!!!

Got a picture or three to prove it?:confused::eek::D

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Congrats Curtis! Looking forward to the photos - of the wood and some new turnings from it!

Jim Kountz
02-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Nice score Curtis!! Now lets see some 100 yr old turnings!!

David Christopher
02-22-2009, 12:07 PM
sounds like a pretty good gloat to me....congrats...its amazing what you can find in a dumpster

Kirk Miller
02-22-2009, 1:14 PM
Congrats Curtis.......That reclaimed wood can be very impressive. I am new to the forum but, I am pretty sure it is against all forum protocol to post a Gloat without pictures. I am sure we can overlook it this time if you were to send out a chunk of wood.....:cool: In all seriousness Congrats on your score and pictures pictures pictures........let us see what you have.

Kirk

Tony De Masi
02-22-2009, 2:00 PM
Congrats Curtis. Sounds like you got enough to keep you quite busy for a while plus you kept all that wood from going into the landfill. Good job.

Tony

Harvey M. Taylor
02-22-2009, 2:27 PM
Curtis, it has been my experience that the moment a turning tool touches wood that is that old, the whole piece will disintegrate. We have a special landfill just in the back of my house where it can be safely be deposited.
Seriously, I am green from head to toe for you.Have loads of fun with it. Max

doug young
02-22-2009, 3:51 PM
What would be cool is to do a bowl or turning using the old wood and have it be part of the new building with a little note under it or something. God is into restoring what is considered to be dumpster junk(like me). Would make a pretty cool illustration for the pastor to talk about beauty from the ashes(dumpster). have fun turning. sounds like you will be stocked up for a while.

Jim Underwood
02-22-2009, 3:59 PM
You might have thought of this already, but making layered bowls is a good project for this type of wood. You can use thinner veneers in between layers to get a little definition. Jim McPhail has some very good articles on the subject. I don't know if he has some articles, but here's his website to see what he does:
http://www.jimmcphail.com/

Another project for board stock is to make a bowl from a single piece of board, say 8 inches x 8 inches , by sawing or turning angular rings for each layer from the board. I believe you can find several articles over on woodturning online.

Congratulations on the wood score! Have fun with that stuff!

alex carey
02-22-2009, 4:35 PM
Certainly sounds like a good gloat but pictures are definitely needed.

ROY DICK
02-22-2009, 5:16 PM
Curtis,

Congratulations on the great wood score. Maybe some collection plates for your church would be nice. Just my thoughts.:confused:

Roy

curtis rosche
02-22-2009, 8:19 PM
heres the rest of the wood. this i beleave is poplar, the rings are very very tight. it is green color, it had the wooden thingys nailed to one side and those were covered with plaster.

Jim Glock
02-22-2009, 8:22 PM
Nice haul!! I'm thinking 'segmented collection plates' for the church. jg

curtis rosche
02-22-2009, 8:24 PM
here are a couple picture of my lathe set up and the new chuck with the new/old reclaimed lumber pine(?) bowl on it.

Don Carter
02-22-2009, 8:24 PM
Curtis:
Congratulations! Be careful of the metal stuff!

All the best.

Don

curtis rosche
02-22-2009, 8:35 PM
i was think whole plates, i dont like the cutty and glueyy part. takes to long, i will keep it in mind if one splits to bad. i was think of selling them at a church event and then donating at least half the money

Paul Douglass
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I thinkthat wood is Douglas Fir. My guess. Nice score!

Go out to that website Jim Underwood posted and watch the podcast. It will give you some great ideas. Well worth the watch.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-23-2009, 5:33 PM
That last picture looks a lot like Eastern Hemlock Curtis, though I'm not to good with softwoods

curtis rosche
02-23-2009, 5:43 PM
it tares out alot, and it dulls new sandpaper very very very quickly, like 15 second

Leo Van Der Loo
02-23-2009, 5:44 PM
That could be Paul, but that had to come from the west coast, and I would expect them to use local material, but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first or last time :rolleyes:

Kirk Miller
02-23-2009, 7:17 PM
Awesome Curtis, Your a fortunate young man to make a haul like that. Giving back to the church is also an excellant idea. Karma smiled on you. Have fun with your turnings.

Kirk

Paul Douglass
02-23-2009, 8:36 PM
That last picture looks a lot like Eastern Hemlock Curtis, though I'm not to good with softwoods

You are probably correct. Didn't think about the east/west thing.

Jeff Nicol
02-24-2009, 7:25 AM
Leo, I agree with you, hemlock has the very hard and soft between the early and late wood in the grain.

Curtis, What I stated above is why it tears out and sands so hard. The wood is naturally brittle but strong for timbers and construction lumber. You will find that a lot of fine light cuts work the best on it. I have used some paste wax (johnson or minwax) rubbed on the wood when i get close to finishing cuts as it helps the tool slide on the very hard dry old wood. Good luck and a great way to show your appreciation to the past with a bunch of turnings in the present!

Jeff