PDA

View Full Version : latest work for critque

Brent Grooms
02-22-2009, 8:26 AM
I am seeing progress with each project completion. I tried to concentrate on maintaining my tool technique and a simple flow within each of them.

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2009, 9:05 AM
Great looking bowls. I really like the wood of the second and last picture. It is nice to see progress and it looks like you are doing just that. What are the wood types and finish you used?

Jeff Luedloff
02-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Brent very nice bowls, your second bowl like the shape and grain. but both bowls are pleasing to the eye. keep up the good work hope to see more soon....Jeff

David Christopher
02-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Brent, Great job.. the bowls are beautiful

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Brent - really like the spalted wood! Form comes with time and lots of practice. Curious as to how you are finishing off the bottoms of the bowls. Are you using a recess?

Jim Kountz
02-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Looks like your practice is paying off big!! Nice looking bowls, all of them!!

Brent Grooms
02-22-2009, 12:38 PM
the silver maple was done with mineral oil and sits next to me at the computer for holding treats/ M&M's. The other is I believe Hickory with two coats of Seal-A-Cell. It had a definate odor when turning but not unpleasant. Not as strong as walnut but it didn't stink like red oak. My wife immediatly latched on to it and it is on a shelf next to her fathers turnings.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Brent,

Nice bowls! Form will come with practice. After a while, you will pickup the tool and worry just about form because tool presentation becomes autonomic from experience. Then you will see even more progress! Nicely doen Sir!

Brent Grooms
02-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Brent - really like the spalted wood! Form comes with time and lots of practice. Curious as to how you are finishing off the bottoms of the bowls. Are you using a recess?

I have been working on making them more pleasing and have a finished look to them. I have been using a recess and chuck lately as my last glued faceplate/sacrificial block was a near disaster in getting seperated.

I have trouble in getting the recess big enough to chuck to but not so big it overwhelms the balance of the bottom of the form. Still have a long way to go but it is getting better with each form. The hickory foot was done using a chuck but I left a nub with the mark from the tailstock center. When I was done with the outer and inner shape, I replaced the chuck with a faceplate and used the nub to line up the bowl and cleaned up the bottom. When it was off the lathe, I used a chisle to clean off the nub.

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2009, 1:49 PM
Brent - I would suggest using a tenon on your next bowl and see if that doesn't help with the form a little bit. When you use a recess - you can not curve the outside of the bowl as much as when using a tenon - IMHO. Also, it helps to develop the outside curve when you can view the profile of the bowl - while it is being held in the chuck.

Just something for you to consider.

Brent Grooms
02-22-2009, 4:42 PM
Steve, how do I pare off the tenon and finish the foot? Do I add for the material in my blanks?

alex carey
02-22-2009, 4:48 PM
Love the last picture. What is that wood, looks great.

ROY DICK
02-22-2009, 4:51 PM
Brent,

Those look great. Keep it up the good work.

Roy

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2009, 4:57 PM
Brent - there are a number of options when removing the foot on a bowl. Just off the top of my head, you can use a jam chuck, cole jaws, longsworth chuck, donut chuck or a vacuum chuck. Really depends on what you have on hand.

What are you using for a chuck and what jaws do you have for it?