PDA

View Full Version : Incra V27 or V120?

Kev Godwin
02-21-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm curious if anyone uses the Incra V120 miter gauge. I have had the Incra V27 for quite some time and am very pleased with it. Is the basic difference that the V120 just has set stops at every full degree but otherwise is the same as the V27? I've looked at the V120 on-line but can't see or find any other differences. Thx.
Kev

Aaron Berk
02-21-2009, 11:34 PM
I looked on line also and got the same impression you did. I use the 1000se and love all the positive stops. I haven't yet had a need for EVERY stop, but I like having them there, and knowing there DEAD ON.

glenn bradley
02-22-2009, 2:07 AM
I have a V27 and have noticed the V120 too. As I have yet to make a miter gauge cut at an angle that the V27 doesn't have, I guess I'm OK. If you are constantly using angles between the V27's stops, I'd upgrade.

scott spencer
02-22-2009, 5:03 AM
I added a piece of transparency as a pivoting cursor on my V27 so that it'll point directly to 1° increments when needed. It's a similar device as what's on the Incra 1000. Not elegant but it works....and as Glenn mentioned, how often do you need that function?

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/graphics/photos/tools/incra1000servu/indxngtotht.jpg

Doug Shepard
02-22-2009, 7:41 AM
I noticed that V120 too and at first thought that if I was buying again now I'd get that one over the V27. But I got the V27 primarily to replace the piece of junk that came with my MM16 and I think that any minor blade drift would sort of defeat the extra precision on the V120 so I'm not sure if it's worth the extra few bucks for BS use. I also occasionally use it on my belt/disc sander though and I think the V120 might be nicer to have for that. I've got another gauge on the TS but I think if I were using it there too, I'd go with the V120.

John Thompson
02-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I have the V 27. I intentionally purchased it to avoid paying high dollar for the fence on the higher models and more positive angle stops. I attach a sacrificial 24" hickory fence to the face and shim square with playing cards and slick tape. The other day I had to have 8 30" legs which would exceed the 24" fence and I could not attach a stop block to assure all were exactly the same lenght.

I go to my wood-rack and in 10 minutes I had a 42" fence attached to the face. If I need 60".. 100".. it's waiting for me on the wood-rack. As far as the additional angle stops.... the V 27 has all the major ones I need to do up to a 8 sided column. So.. with all that said.. the V 27 will not get replaced.

My thoughts are.... why should I purchase and pay extra for a washing machine with 16 "Super-duper" wash cycles when I only use Cold-Cold.. Cold-Hot.. Hot-Hot.. In other words.. in 37 years I can't remember needing 9*... 23*... etc. etc. on a miter gauge. I only need the angles that can give me proper alignment on up to 8 sided meshs.

Someone may need them for something but... I would say only a few and very few IMO. But.. there will be some that sell their cheap and simple V V 27 even though it is all they need.. to get the "New and Improved". :)

Sarge..

scott spencer
02-25-2009, 11:26 AM
I added a piece of transparency as a pivoting cursor on my V27 so that it'll point directly to 1° increments when needed. It's a similar device as what's on the Incra 1000. Not elegant but it works....and as Glenn mentioned, how often do you need that function?

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/graphics/photos/tools/incra1000servu/indxngtotht.jpg

Here's a pic of the quickie version of the cursor on my V27....it couldn't be much cruder or simpler to do. :o

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/000_0714.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/000_0716.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/000_0715.jpg

lowell holmes
02-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I have the V-27. I did not have to shim it to make it square. The screws provised enough adjustment.

I have several fence that I put on when making different cuts. I extend the fence past the cut line and cut it off. I can make exact cut offs,

I have a fence with enough length to make 45 degree cuts right on the line.

I have one fence that extends across the saw table that allows accurate sled type cuts.

It's one heck of a miter gage.

John Thompson
02-25-2009, 12:58 PM
I have the V-27. I did not have to shim it to make it square. The screws provised enough adjustment.

I have several fence that I put on when making different cuts. I extend the fence past the cut line and cut it off. I can make exact cut offs,

I have a fence with enough length to make 45 degree cuts right on the line.

I have one fence that extends across the saw table that allows accurate sled type cuts.

It's one heck of a miter gage.

The shims were not to make the gauge square, Lowell. They are to square the added sacrificail wood face to make the wood square to the blade. Not always needed but.. sometimes the wood will be off by several .000 and a simple shim does the trick quickly.

Sarge..

Dennis Faz
02-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Price Alert!!! I see starting this Saturday the Rockler stores are offering the Incra V120 for $49.99 (reg. price of $84.99) seems like a good price.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-24-2010, 1:03 AM
Price Alert!!! I see starting this Saturday the Rockler stores are offering the Incra V120 for $49.99 (reg. price of $84.99) seems like a good price.

How did you find this out? I just checked the Rockler site. Couldn't find the sale. Do you know if the sled (or any other INCRA parts) is going to be on sale too? I already have the cheapo V27. I think it's WELL worth buying, considering a POS stock replacement runs about that much money.

To answer the OP question, since I just checked the Rockler site, the 120 has no review rating, while the cheapo 27 has 5 stars. I agree with John, wash hot or cold, I don't wash clothes at 89 begree water. The V27 has plenty enough stops. BUT, if the 120 is the same price, I'd go for it just for the WOW factor.

Joe Wiliams
02-24-2010, 1:21 AM
How did you find this out? ......
It's in the latest flyer...

Ken Shoemaker
02-24-2010, 5:53 AM
Check Amazon. $47.70 w/ free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007UQ2DW/ref=pe_58050_14398780_pe_vfe_t1

Van Huskey
02-24-2010, 6:48 AM
If you want to move up from a V27 jump the 120 and go to at least the 1000 series, even if you never use any non-standard stops there is a lot more value added stuff there, with the 120 all you really get is stops 99.9% of people will never use.

John McClanahan
02-24-2010, 8:23 AM
I have the V27 too. The smaller size lets me use it on my band saw. If I ever get good enough that the lack of stops is a problem, well, I guess I will just have to buy more tools!:rolleyes:

John

brian c miller
02-24-2010, 9:54 AM
I have the 1000HD... it's great but I use 3 maybe 4 stops all the time.

I will say that fewer stops in the protractor make teeth much stronger. By the time you add in 180 little arcoss the arc they are more prone to getting buggered up. (The pointer engagment is much smaller aswell)

If I did it again. I may buy the 27 or 1000se. How often do you really need to cut a 42* or 13*miter?

craig greene
02-24-2010, 10:16 PM
I have the V120. When I upgraded from the factory supplied gauge, my decision came down to the 27 or 120. Why the 120? Well from the research I did online, most everyone said that they have only needed the lock points that are already on the 27. But I also know that if things hold true to form for me, the first time I need to do a miter it will be at some odd degree that is not lockable. So I went with the V120.

I really like it a lot. Even if I don't use every degree, I like knowing that if I need an odd one, it is there and it can be locked in. The V120 also has the new High Def etching (black on yellow) on the gauge. I personally like the look of the red color but the HD does make reading the degrees easier. You will not be disappointed with either one. All the incra stuff is of very high quality. And with the Rockler sale, it is the same price as the V27.

Kev Godwin
02-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Wow!
My post from almost exactly one year ago comes back to life!:D

And here I am here today with my same V27. It still has done everything I've ever needed and then some. When I first looked at the model with more index points I thought that would really come in handy. Well, I still haven't needed it this many board feet later.

If they are the same price, I guess either one would be just fine. That V27 is an excellent piece of equipment for the dollar!

Thanks for the memories! :cool:
Kev

Jerome Hanby
02-25-2010, 9:52 AM
I've got to 1000se, love all the stops, and have only used 90 and 45 :D