PDA

View Full Version : Amboyna Vase

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Well here is a amboyna vase that I turned last weekend. You are not going to believe this but this vase actually exploded into six pieces. I don't know why because I didn't have a catch. I was taking light finishing cuts. It did have a small inculsion but I just don't know if that was it. Anyway I found all the pieces and used Titebond III. I let it set for 48 hrs and then just sanded it thru the grits. What amazed me was how easy and how well the parts fit back together. Actually you can see only two pieces plainly. I finished it with Antique oil and 3 coats of spray satin poly. Probably should have just put it in the trash but I just couldn't force myself to do it. Anyway nothing pretty just wanted to show you a glued up vase. Oh well the LOML has flowers in it and loves it. She tells everyone it is her glue up.

George Guadiane
02-21-2009, 10:18 PM
ODD (that it blew up like that)!
Nice recovery, beautiful vase!

steven carter
02-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Bernie,

I don't blame you I wouldn't have thrown it away either. You did good by saving it. You might be surprised that most people won't even notice it, but when you look at the fix is the only thing you'll see.

Steve

Brian Effinger
02-21-2009, 10:30 PM
great save Bernie. That is a beautiful vase.

David Christopher
02-21-2009, 10:54 PM
good save..it is a beautiful vase..I know what you mean about not throwing it away I have little bits and pieces allover my shop and just cant throw them away

alex carey
02-22-2009, 12:19 AM
nice vase and very cool that you glued it back together. In the first picture you can't even see a single crack.

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Sure is some pretty wood Bernie - such rich colors! Glad you took the time to save it! If your wife likes it - what more could you ask for? Nice work!

ROY DICK
02-22-2009, 8:34 AM
Love the form on your vase, great save .

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2009, 9:04 AM
Thanks for the comments. Like I said it really surprised me that the pieces interlocked together as nicely as they did. It does look pretty good on the table with flowers in it.

Clarence Sears
02-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Bernie,

Agree with the others: great save of a beautiful piece! Stuff happens - guess that's why a face shield is recommended...:)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Bernie,

Great save my friend! The form is nice and wood is stunning. I wonder if I'll find that type of segmented turning covered in the Malcolm Tibbetts book I am reading currently?:confused:

Nice save Bernie!

Curt Fuller
02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Good save Bernie! That's way to pretty of a piece of wood to throw out. It looks good.

Toney Robertson
02-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Outstanding save.

You can't even see the breaks.

Toney

Jim Kountz
02-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Explosive!! Nice save Bernie, I love this one, very cool form and the colors are unreal!!

Dewey Torres
02-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Looks like you got lucky Bernie. The turning gods were watching over you.:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2009, 8:06 PM
Thanks again. Yep Dewey somebody was looking over me. Clarence now that you mention it not one piece did hit me. Anyway glad I decided to stick with it.

Don Carter
02-22-2009, 8:14 PM
Bernie:
Segmenting the hard way.;) Looks great from here!

All the best.

Don

Ken Glass
02-22-2009, 8:18 PM
Bernie,
Ya gotta love live edge pieces. That's a very nice Vase. The edge is really large and adds a lot to the overall form. You can't see any glued pieces from our view. Well done!

Steve Campbell
02-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Great save Bernie. I don't think anyone would have known if you hadn't said something. I launched a nice cedar bowl not too long ago. I was all done turning it and had a few good coats of finish on it. All that was left was the buffing. You guessed it. The buffing wheel took it out of my hand so quick I couldn't believe it. There were about 5 or 6 pieces. I did the same as you and glued it back together and I think it is still ok.
Nice looking vase no matter how you got there.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks again. I tried something tonight and I think it worked out well. I mixed up some different color india inks (don't ask I just mixed till it looked right) to match the wood and took a extremely fine paint brush and painted the glue lines. Their is one tiny spot you can see but the rest is now hidden nicely. You cannot see the glue lines at all. More learning. I am now thinking that maybe india ink mixed with the epoxy/sawdust might just making some interesting crack filler.

Bob Hallowell
02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Bernie, that's a great segmented vase!

Bob