PDA

View Full Version : Privet/Thompson Perfection

George Guadiane
02-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Today I took my new 3/4 inch round and v gouges for a test drive in their new handles...
WHAT A RIDE!
Between the hard and sharp gouges with a user friendly grind and the STURDY foam covered handles, I felt like I was being driven in my limo over washed out roads... I could feel the occasional bump here and there, but not bone jarring...
And once I got the blank trued up, I was taking off material in pounds per minute - and with absolute control.
Best money I have spent since the Monster hollowing rig a month or so ago...
:D I am ONE LUCKY GUY!!! :D

:rolleyes: Don't let anyone tell you that size doesn't matter ;)

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2009, 12:47 AM
George - I agree with you 100%!!! To me there is nothing like Doug's 3/4" V with one of Randy's long foam covered handles for roughing out a blank! I have the wings swept back quite a bit on my gouge and easily take off a heck of a lot of wood per pass. I do have the handle filled with #6 lead shot - really makes a difference damping out vibrations!

Congrats on getting a great gouge combo! Happy turning!

Doug Thompson
02-22-2009, 2:36 AM
Steve, I think you got the first 3/4 handle from Randy.

Jeff Nicol
02-22-2009, 8:25 AM
Well with all the great reports on Dougs tools I am getting the itch to buy a couple! I really don't need any more gouges, but all the hype and excitement is pushing me over the edge!!! This peer pressure was supposed to be gone after highschool!!! I think the whooshing sound is getting louder and louder!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!I am being pulled into the deepest darkest hole in the VORTEXXXXXXXXXX..............................

Be talkin at you soon Mr. Thompson!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2009, 9:08 AM
George I couldn't agree with you more. Doug's gouges are great tools. I happen to have Dave Peebles handles on mine but no matter they do work great. His detail spindle gouges are also great tools.

Randy Privett
02-22-2009, 9:19 AM
George,

I'm glad you like the handle, it was made for Doug's 3/4" gouge.

Randy

George Guadiane
02-22-2009, 10:00 AM
George - I agree with you 100%!!! To me there is nothing like Doug's 3/4" V with one of Randy's long foam covered handles for roughing out a blank! I have the wings swept back quite a bit on my gouge and easily take off a heck of a lot of wood per pass. I do have the handle filled with #6 lead shot - really makes a difference damping out vibrations!

Congrats on getting a great gouge combo! Happy turning!
Thanks Steve! I was amazed at the amount of wood that was just peeling off and how steady the grip felt, usually I have bounce and torque with smaller "lesser" tools. Since I was so blessed with the turning contract thing, I have "tool money" - Mechanical Capital, and I'm using it (I am so fortunate)! I'm going to try the shot thing, it sounds like an additional benefit.

Well with all the great reports on Dougs tools I am getting the itch to buy a couple! I really don't need any more gouges, but all the hype and excitement is pushing me over the edge!!! This peer pressure was supposed to be gone after highschool!!! I think the whooshing sound is getting louder and louder!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!I am being pulled into the deepest darkest hole in the VORTEXXXXXXXXXX..............................

Be talkin at you soon Mr. Thompson!

Jeff
(IMHO) Good tools will always be a good investment in improving your craft, and skills. I don't "NEED" any MORE tools either, I just wanted BETTER tools. I'm going to sell off my Benjamen's best (which work fine) and probably all but one of my other gouges, reduce the number of scrapers by a couple and invest in a few more Thompson tools (even BIGGER gouges?). I will get some smaller ones for finer work, although these seem to be capable of quite delicate maneuvers.

Don't do it for peer pressure, do it because it's the right thing to do. It's warm and friendly in the vortex.

George I couldn't agree with you more. Doug's gouges are great tools. I happen to have Dave Peebles handles on mine but no matter they do work great. His detail spindle gouges are also great tools.

Gonna try get some soon.

George,

I'm glad you like the handle, it was made for Doug's 3/4" gouge.

Randy
I'm typing without discomfort or pain pills this morning, and I roughed out a BIG blank last night, and hollowed it too... The handles helped save me a lot of time and a lot of discomfort...
The Monster - I'm at a loss to say how much it has helped me.... I'm faster, more precise and I absolutely LOVE how the tool works with my Rolly Munro hollowers... Another marriage made in Heaven.

Jim Kountz
02-22-2009, 12:19 PM
I have the 5/8" and love it!! Havent tried the 3/4" but I can only imagine its fantastic!!