PDA

View Full Version : Ash HF

Keith Burns
02-21-2009, 8:16 PM
This ash came from my front yard. I planted this tree probably 18 years ago. It had some type of bore worm that would eat the middle out leaving parts dead but it would not give up and kept producing new growth. It was an ugly tree and my wife finally convinced to to get it down, and I saved probably 20 pieces or so. I decided to try something new and that was to turn it complete while it was green and see what happens. I hope it warps a little just don't want it to crack. It measures 4" dia. x 6-3/4" tall. Walls are -1/8". Comments welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2009, 8:20 PM
Keith - that sure is pretty! Love all the twisty grain and the variations in color! Form is perfect! Hope it dries without cracking! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

David Christopher
02-21-2009, 8:57 PM
Keith, that is really nice..I like the character of the wood ... its amazing what you can find in a ugly tree

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2009, 9:12 PM
Keith that is a beauty. Love the grain and color of the wood. Nice form.

steven carter
02-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Keith,

Really nice job, really like the grain patterns. Hope it doesn't crack!

Steve

Leo Van Der Loo
02-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Very nice Keith, I hope you placed it in a brown paper bag to let it dry slowly, well done.

Gary Herrmann
02-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Elegant shape on that one Keith. Nicely done.

Curt Fuller
02-22-2009, 12:14 AM
That's a beauty Keith. If you get a chance, post a picture of it in a few weeks after it's had a chance to realign itself with the universe. It'll be interesting to see what shape it takes.

alex carey
02-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Beautiful piece. GL in not having it crack.

Jeff Nicol
02-22-2009, 8:35 AM
This ash came from my front yard. I planted this tree probably 18 years ago. It had some type of bore worm that would eat the middle out leaving parts dead but it would not give up and kept producing new growth. It was an ugly tree and my wife finally convinced to to get it down, and I saved probably 20 pieces or so. I decided to try something new and that was to turn it complete while it was green and see what happens. I hope it warps a little just don't want it to crack. It measures 4" dia. x 6-3/4" tall. Walls are -1/8". Comments welcome.
Keith, Looks great so far! Ash is a tough one to keep from not cracking. Sounds like the emerald ash borer or a cottony ash psyllid, has gotten your tree. Both of these critters are bad news for the ash trees. So make sure the wood you are keeping is free of the beetles and larvae or they will spread to all the other ash trees in your area, if they are not already infected.

Beautiful vase and hope the rest of the trees are safe!

Jeff

ROY DICK
02-22-2009, 8:36 AM
Keith,

Another beauty for sure. Like the others, I too hope it wont crack.

Roy

Jim Kountz
02-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Very nice form and color, keeping our fingers crossed on the cracking!!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Keith.....great form, finish and wood is stunning!

Be sure to report back about the cracking....any or none!