PDA

View Full Version : Rude, Crude, Over Garage Door Storage

Russ Filtz
07-10-2004, 7:50 PM
Decided to try and get some of my wood off the floor to get room for my new drill press (stealth gloat, pics to follow). Decided to use cheap 2x4's lag screwed to the 2nd floor joists. Rest of the wood is also bolted/screwed so it can be fully removed if desired. Used some steel angle braces on the horizontals.

Was worried about sagging, but I can hang from a single horizontal and it barely moves! Notice the custom "pocket" for storing my K-bodies. Kind of a pain to get and replace, but at least they're not visible when the door is left open (was hanging them from the end of my garage door track.

Not very pretty, but I figure it might give people som ideas. The rack on the right is 50" wide, so I can store full 4' wide sheet goods!

Jack Wood
07-10-2004, 8:09 PM
WOW!:) Very nice use of space and it's far from crude. It really does give me some ideas about my own shop:rolleyes: Thanks for posting!

Bruce Page
07-10-2004, 8:18 PM
Looks great Russ, a good use of otherwise dead space. I hope you used enamel paint, latex will stick to the lumber like glue! DAMHIKT!!

Russ Filtz
07-10-2004, 8:31 PM
I did use normal latex I think, but wisely didn't paint the tops! Guess I'll have to watch the sides though. ;)

Chris DeHut
07-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Ah, yes, Yet another woodworker that appreciates the use of space - great job!

Chris

Daniel Rabinovitz
07-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Russ
Neat storage idea.
Daniel :cool:

Rob Littleton
07-11-2004, 1:01 PM
Nice thinking..........

I did a similar thing in my old garage.

Coz space was tight, I made these big rectangles that (when the garage door was open) they went over the door, down and under the door. On these, I hung lights so I could work with the door open and have the lights at the same time.

Worked real cool.

Tony Falotico
07-11-2004, 8:02 PM
Way to go Russ .......... Been staring at that space for years, thanks for the neat idea!

Tim Morton
07-11-2004, 8:49 PM
Great idea, I'm on my way out to the garage to plan out the same thing...never even thought of using that space!!!

Jerry Olexa
07-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Great Idea!! Efficient use of space! Thanks.:)

Russ Filtz
07-11-2004, 11:10 PM
Forgot to mention as I was planning the space, I knew I only had about 10" of usable depth up there. That's why the 2x4's are flat on the horizontal. Not the best structural design, but seems sturdy enough. Next time around I would also use the metal brackets on the top as well instead of screwing the verticals into the ceiling anchors. Probably OK as-is, but the metal brackets seem safer (don't want to drop a load of wood on the wife's car).

Also, as you can kind of see in the pics, I purposely bought bowed wood (not crowned) and placed the bowed side up. This allows them to take a load without sagging below my design height. I'm sure over time they might take a "set" under load and flatten or even sag some, but I wanted to start them out with a fighting chance. Kind of like putting joist/rafters in with the crown up, just on their sides!