PDA

View Full Version : Little goblet

Jeff Nicol
02-21-2009, 5:22 PM
Well I got something turned today inbetween all the running around. I took my wife to Mayo Clinic on Thursday for surgery on her hand and went and got her today. It is 2 hrs one way so I am bushed. But since I was up at 3 a.m. I was in the shop cleaning up some and I saw this little cut off and it begged me not to throw it in the fire! So here is the little goblet, 3 1/2" tall and the cup is 1 1/4". Tung oil finish with lacquer on top, just another dust collector for my wife!

Jeff

Kirk Miller
02-21-2009, 5:30 PM
Jeff Nice work for spur of the moment. I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2009, 5:30 PM
Jeff - that is really nice work! Great proportions, detail work and beautiful wood! Seriously nice work - thanks for sharing!

Kirk reminded me - sure hope everything is OK with your wife and that she recovers fully from the surgery!

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2009, 6:12 PM
That is a beauty Jeff. Hope your wife is ok and feeling better.

ROY DICK
02-21-2009, 8:07 PM
3 Am, 3 Pm, or Noon O'Clock that is one nice goblet.
Best wishes to your wife, take care.

Roy

Robert McGowen
02-21-2009, 8:22 PM
That is a well-proportioned, nice little goblet. I pray the wife has a speedy recovery.

Curt Fuller
02-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Beautiful goblet Jeff!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Nicel goblet Jeff! Great crisp lines, proportions and finished results!

Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery for the wife's hand!

alex carey
02-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Nice work. 3 in the mornings, thats hilarious. I've never been up that late turning.

Jeff Nicol
02-22-2009, 8:43 AM
I truly appreciate all the kind words and support from all you out there on SMC! My wife is home now and feeling much better. She is pretty upset at the care she was recieving and will write a letter of complaint though to Mayo Clinic.

So the little goblet is a winner! I love to turn them and it gives me good practice with the skew and using it efficiently! The red oak is a little scarry to turn that thin, as the porous nature of the wood and short grain sections made it a little weak at the center bead. I had to hold it gently in my fingers to keep it from spinning wildly and snapping off! The bad thing is that I have enoug little hunks of wood to make about 500,000 of them! Maybe I should give more away, instead of feeding the woodstove?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Brian Effinger
02-22-2009, 10:21 AM
That is a nice goblet Jeff. But I have to disagree with you on one point - I don't think you can call it "little". Compared to some of your other little turnings, that is gigantic. :p

Good to hear your wife is feeling better.

Brian

Jim Kountz
02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Nice goblet!! Im glad Im not the only one who spends time in the shop in the wee hours. I thought I was just weird!!

Dewey Torres
02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I try not to use loud power tool after 10pm for the neighbors but the lathe (since it is so quiet) doesn't count.:D

David Drickhamer
02-22-2009, 2:11 PM
Nice goblet Jeff. Sorry your wife had problems with her care, hope she's doing better.
Dave

Steve Campbell
02-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Nice looking goblet Jeff. I am going to try one here soon. Hope your wife get feeling better soon.

Steve

Jeff Nicol
02-23-2009, 7:22 AM
Nice looking goblet Jeff. I am going to try one here soon. Hope your wife get feeling better soon.

Steve
Thanks again all for your kind words!

Steve are you ready for spring/summer yet? I know I am!!! The goblets and smaller things are fun to turn and great practice!

Jeff

Steve Campbell
02-23-2009, 7:40 AM
Hi again Jeff. Boy am I ready for spring. Cabin fever is starting to set in. Now all I need is for my boss to get enough work to keep us busy for the season. Things are real slow in our area. A construction job comes up for bid and even the small jobs have many bidders. And CHEAP. Oh well things will work out.
Just looked and it is -2 here this morning. Global warming at it's best.
I have never heard anything bad about the service at Mayo. I still think it has one of the best reputations in the area. Sure hope you guys can get her problems with them straightened out.

Steve

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-23-2009, 8:49 PM
Very nice Jeff.

Bruce