PDA

View Full Version : Pens for soldiers going to Iraq ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
07-10-2004, 4:07 PM
A lady that works for me has a single-parent daughter in the service who has been assigned to leave for Iraq in two weeks. Her daughter also has a small daughter who will have to stay with Grandmother for the duration of the assignment. The lady at work asked me if I would make some pens for the daughter and a couple of her buddies to take with them to write home. To make it a little more closer to home, I took some of the walnut from the free pallet I found at work last week and turned these four pens. I will give them to her Monday to give to the soldiers. I'll have more coming soon for the Freedom Pen Project. Thanks for looking.

Gary Salisbury
07-11-2004, 2:52 AM
Walnut pallets?? Oh, my god! What is this world coming to? :eek:

Actually, is that a common thing in your area? Out here in California almost all the pallets are made of white oak. Say, want to trade? ;)

Gary in San Diego

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
07-11-2004, 6:19 AM
Walnut pallets?? Oh, my god! What is this world coming to? :eek:

Actually, is that a common thing in your area? Out here in California almost all the pallets are made of white oak. Say, want to trade? ;)

Gary in San Diego

Gary,
I've only found a few walnut, most are oak. However, I do have a good supply of Mahogany pallets that come in from Panama. See this thread for a photo.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10319&highlight=free+wood

They are smaller, but have beautiful wood. It gets planed and joined and makes great project wood.
Ron