PDA

View Full Version : Truth in advertising?

jeff begin
02-21-2009, 3:02 PM
The wife has been searching the web for ideas for my next project. She wants some sort of bookcase bench, so she sent me a link to this thing (http://www.studentmarket.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=YAS2662&utm_source=PC11&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_term=YAS2662#ProdDetails). I got a good laugh when I was reading the bulleted list of features and they actually say "Wood veneers for a smoother surface." :rolleyes:

Why hadn't here shared this secret with me?! Here I've just been using sand paper on solid wood like an idiot.

Eduard Nemirovsky
02-21-2009, 3:15 PM
this is why it cost so much:D:D.
Regarding your question - "truth in advertising?", these two words can not be put together. In my opinion advertisement can not be truthful at all. Something like -"Best on a market!" or "Only in our store!" and best is - "Lowest price!"
Ed.:D

keith ouellette
02-21-2009, 3:20 PM
at least the mention it is wood veneers.

I saw the 5000 btu amish heater on tv and they claim it was solid wood but when they showed these two bearded guys working on one it looked like hard wood core veneer to me. I guess that is kinda like solid wood.

when we were looking at some furniture the salesperson said a bedroom set was solid wood. apon careful inspection I found it to be ply wood with a veneer top. "ply wood IS wood!" is what i was told

Rick Fisher
02-21-2009, 3:29 PM
Particle board is made of wood. I guess that could be solid wood as well?

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-21-2009, 3:33 PM
I saw the 5000 btu amish heater on tv and they claim it was solid wood but when they showed these two bearded guys working on one

And they don't know how to hold a hammer were not wearing Amish clothing and nothing about that stupid gadget is Amish.

glenn bradley
02-21-2009, 3:47 PM
I notice the surface is "heavily distressed" and "smooth" . . . . interesting.

jeff begin
02-21-2009, 3:50 PM
I notice the surface is "heavily distressed" and "smooth" . . . . interesting.
I'm thinking it was smooth when shipped and they let UPS distress it during transport. ("Damaged? No, it's supposed to look like that.") Probably helps save on both packing materials and returns.

Carl Hunsinger
02-21-2009, 3:58 PM
I saw the 5000 btu amish heater on tv and they claim it was solid wood

That commercial is too funny. I always thought that the Amish, like, shunned electricity. But now I see they're building electric heaters to sell to the English. Captialism rocks!

Carl

Myk Rian
02-21-2009, 4:32 PM
$650 on sale?

jeff begin
02-21-2009, 4:40 PM
$650 on sale?
Don't you love it when the wife finds something like this for a crazy price? It makes justifying tool purchases so much easier. "Of course I can build you one of those that is both better and cheaper. But I am going to have to buy X to make it. Ok?"