PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Bench Vise Mounting

Jim Eller
02-21-2009, 2:31 PM
Does this vise mount with two or four bolts? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49980&cat=1,41659

All I can see in the picture are the two back mounting slots.

Does anyone use this and what is you opinion of it? Alternatives??

Jim

Tom Cross
02-21-2009, 3:23 PM
It mounts with four bolts. I put the 7" one on a bench I built last month. It is made in the Czech Republic and is excellent. It operates very smoothly. I highly recommend it.

I added a 2" x 4" x 12" chop to one face with a 3/4" dog hole aligned with the center of the vise. I mounted it even with one edge of the bench and put a line of 3/4" dog holes, 3-5/8" in from the long edge of the bench. The dog holes are spaced 3-3/4" apart. That arrangement makes it very easy to put a bench dog in the nearest slot and surface clamp a board. Having the dog holes that close to the edge allows surface clamping narrow boards so they overhand the bench edge for edge operations such as routing an edge profile.

I used four through bolts to mount it to the end of the bench. The bolt heads are countersunk and offer better secure long term mounting than lag screws. My bench top is 3" thick so it mounted directly to the bench top underside without any shims required. If your bench top is less than 2.5" thick, you will need a shim under the vise.

Alan DuBoff
02-21-2009, 3:40 PM
I have the large vise on the dimensional bench in my garage.

There is only one thing I am not crazy about, that is the fact that it requires 2 counter clockwise turns of the handle to disengage the screw for the quick release. This is similar to how the Record 53 worked, as I recall.

There is another method, as used on the Record 52 1/2 that had a lever by the handle to release, and that type of mechanism would be preferred, IMO. At least speaking for myself, I would rather have the lever. The Groz vise has a lever, as I recall.

I went through a QR nut, but LV replaced it for me, free of charge even after more than 2 years from the date of purchase. LV gets the nod for customer support, and always does a great job. They felt it was not a common problem, just that the QR nut was defective possibly. Been working fine since.

As Tom mentioned, it does use 4 bolts to hold it in place, the rears have openings so you can slide it in place and then secure the two in the front, which are just behind the rear jaw.

Jim Eller
02-21-2009, 4:35 PM
Thanks Alan and Tom. I didn't want to get it and then find out it only mounted with two bolts and was cheaply made. Coming from LV I figured it would be of quality.

The negative on the "not so quick release" is somewhat troubling though.

Jim

Tom Cross
02-21-2009, 6:36 PM
The quick release works very well and quickly. I haven't noticed that it takes two turns. I just twirl it and it releases easily. It's one of the best vises I have ever used. The Veritas twin screw vise is also awesome. Here are some pictures of it mounted to my bench:

Jim Eller
02-22-2009, 9:14 AM
Tom,

Thanks for taking the time with the pictures.

That's the one I am going to go with.

I guess I'll put a couple of metal twin screws on the other end. I looked at the Veritas twin screw but just couldn't justify the over $200 additional cost(when you add the covers) just to add a couple of sprockets and a chain so I could turn one handle instead of two.

From the picture, appears you recessed the rear jaw into you bench. It that correct? What do you have on the other end?

Thanks again,
Jim

Tom Cross
02-22-2009, 9:33 AM
Yes, I recessed the vise into the bench end grain so it was flush. Here is a picture of the entire bench with a Veritas twin screw vise. The Veritas vise is pricey but it is so sweet the way it operates, no racking at all and turning one screw turns both screws. For a bench I intend to work on for 25 years, it is worth the money.

Jim Eller
02-22-2009, 9:55 AM
Tom,

Once again, thanks for you input.

Nice bench! What are the dimensions of the legs and are they laminated?

Do you use the sliding deadman a lot? I've also seen a sliding vise which looks interesting too.

I'm not much of a hand tool guy so some of this stuff may not be something I would use too often. Just a personal choice. I'm not much of a purist.:)

Jim

Tom Cross
02-22-2009, 1:26 PM
I generally followed the Holtzapffel-style bench plans from Chris Schwarz.

Legs = 3-3/4" x 5" x 33"
Legs Bottom Stretcher = 5" x 2-3/4" x 16-1/2" (length excludes 5/8" x 4" x 3" tenons on both ends)
Legs Top Stretcher = 3" x 2" x 16-1/2" (length excludes 5/8" x 2" x 3" tenons on both ends)
Long stretchers = 5" x 1-7/8" x 50" (length excludes 5/8" x 4" x 1" tenons on both ends)

The mortise and tenon joints are all draw bored with the exception of the long stretchers which are connected to the legs with 1/2" x 8" hex head bolts.

Yes, the legs and stretchers are laminated hard maple.

Jim Eller
02-23-2009, 5:32 AM
Tom,

Thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate it.

Jim