PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Hardwood Pricing

Ed Sallee
02-21-2009, 1:06 PM
I went to Atlanta Hardwoods today, bought some birds eye maple & some cocobolo.

Steve Mellott
02-21-2009, 3:11 PM
Ed:

I visit Atlanta Hardwoods on a regular basis and the price schedule will give you an approximate price, but more often than not, the actual price is different. Fortunately, our woodworking club gets the contractor rate, which is about 20% lower.

Steve

keith ouellette
02-21-2009, 3:15 PM
About a year and a half ago I payed $5.90 for hard maple 4/4.

has the price of wood gone down since then or is it because I live in central (the land of crappy trees) florida?

Jack Ellis
02-21-2009, 3:27 PM
I thought lumber prices in the San Francisco Bay Area were exhorbitant but Atlanta Hardwoods gets the prize! a 5x5 sheet of 1/2" BB ply at Aura Hardwoods in San Jose GOES for $33.58 plus sales tax. I haven't priced solid lumber but there are other places locally where I can get the AH prices or better.

Robert Parrish
02-21-2009, 3:35 PM
Take a look at Wall lumber.

Dennis Lopeman
03-26-2009, 3:57 PM
I went to Atlanta Hardwoods today, bought some birds eye maple & some cocobolo. I picked up a price list too so I thought I'd share.... in case anybody is interested.

Ed - I live right across the lake from you - Actually - my parents live in Flowery Branch.

So I'm glad you posted this. So far I've been going my wood browsing at WoodCraft (now on the other side of Holcomb Brdg.)

Thanks!

Jeff Mohr
03-27-2009, 8:10 AM
I didn't realize African Mahogany was a domestic hardwood......

Danny Hamsley
03-27-2009, 9:12 AM
I am in Perry, Ga and I have a sawmill. I have hardwood for sale for a good bit less, however, the wood is only air-dried. I have Black Walnut, Pecan, Red oak, Yellow Poplar, Sweetgum, Red Cedar, some Persimmon, some Hackberry, and Sycamore. It is rough sawn, 4/4, 1" rough. Let me know if you are in the general area and need some wood.

Neal Clayton
03-27-2009, 9:42 AM
14.88 for 4/4 old growth yellow pine?

people i knew were telling me i was crazy for paying 5...

tody Brock
03-27-2009, 9:48 AM
I am about 1.5 hrs north of Atlanta and get most of my lumber from Chattanooga Hardwood. Within the last month I bought 100 bf of Alder, 1 edge straight, and planed to 13/16" for $2.65 a bf. I can't imagine why there is so much difference, I guess superior grade is perfect, while this is not, it is pretty darn close.

John Thompson
03-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I am in Perry, Ga and I have a sawmill. I have hardwood for sale for a good bit less, however, the wood is only air-dried. I have Black Walnut, Pecan, Red oak, Yellow Poplar, Sweetgum, Red Cedar, some Persimmon, some Hackberry, and Sycamore. It is rough sawn, 4/4, 1" rough. Let me know if you are in the general area and need some wood.

What are you getting for the black walnut, Danny? I'm up in Lawrenceville not far from Ed in Flowery Branch. Perry is just south of Macon and in striking distance on the occasions I get a hankering for black walnut.

Regards from up the road...

Sarge..

GERALD HARGROVE
03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Try Peach State Lumber. They are some where in Georgia, near Atlanta. Never visited them personally, but have purchased quite a bit from them and they shipped it to me. I got hard maple priced the other day for 3.47 a BF and soft at 2.80 a BF. You can find them on the internet.

Todd Hyman
03-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Try Peach State Lumber. They are some where in Georgia, near Atlanta. Never visited them personally, but have purchased quite a bit from them and they shipped it to me. I got hard maple priced the other day for 3.47 a BF and soft at 2.80 a BF. You can find them on the internet.

They are great. They are located Acworth area off I-75 and Wade Green Road. They are open till 4:30 M-F and for a short time on Saturday mornings.

Danny Hamsley
03-27-2009, 12:55 PM
What are you getting for the black walnut, Danny? I'm up in Lawrenceville not far from Ed in Flowery Branch. Perry is just south of Macon and in striking distance on the occasions I get a hankering for black walnut.

Regards from up the road...

Sarge..

Sarge,

$3.00 for #2 grade and $3.50 for #1 and better. It is 4/4, rough, air-dried. Lengths from 5 to 10 feet, mostly 8 feet. I am about 2 to 2 1/2 hours south of you just off I-75.

Mike Robbins
03-27-2009, 1:05 PM
+1 on Peachstate. Good people, and good service.
Prices are competitive enough for what I do and the amounts I use.
Last purchase was a bunch of 4/4 and 8/4 poplar for around $1.90 a BF.

Brian Peters
03-27-2009, 1:20 PM
I pay about $1.50 poplar 4/4 and about $2 a foot for 5/4 soft maple, wood is cheap you just have to find the right source and also buy it rough... I can get it at another place in town and pay almost $6 a foot for clear maple s2s 4/4. But I haven't bought lumber there in ages, not when I can get s4s done on the lumber at like 30cents a lineal foot. Cheaper than milling it yourself. :cool:

John Thompson
03-27-2009, 1:23 PM
Thanks Danny... if you would be kind enough to Private Message me your business phone # or whatever you use. I don't know if you do this on the side or full time so.. whatever. I will add it to my save files in the computer so I could call in advance to make sure we don't conflict schedules when I do need some walnut. That is a good price and would be worth the drive.

I have been buying from Suwanee Lumber since the early 70's with some purchases at Peach State (Kennesaw).. Atlanta Hardwood and Georgia Hardwood (little there) in Buford just up the street. I have purchased from Wall in N.C.

The walnut price is as good any. My wife has me pumping out A & C with QSWO at the moment but.. walnut is in the future for the fall most likely.

Regards...

Sarge..

Dennis Montgomery
03-28-2009, 8:39 AM
I buy all my lumber at Peachstate Lumber. They are in Kennesaw on Moon Station Road. Their prices are better than Atlanta Hardwoods and the people working there are very nice and eager to serve their customers. If you buy rough, they will forlift a pallet out to the main floor so you can pick through it.