PDA

View Full Version : Barcodes

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone, hope you are all doing good.

It has been so long since I've had to ask for something, I thought I needed to remind you that we're still alive and kicking, not kicking too high these days but we're still here.

Now for my question, does anyone know a good software program for printing barcodes? I've read some of the older post where you were discussing buying them but what about printing them? I was referred to this place for purchasing them http://www.buyabarcode.com/index.php?/en there is not a yearly fee and it explains why on the website. Anyhow, I haven't purchased any . . . yet . . . but I was wanting to see what I have to do to print them. I have played with the barcode in Corel and created one but if you were going print our a whole sheet would you just do this in Corel and place into the label?

Yeah, I probably have no idea what I am talking about here and look like an complete "i-dot", but by now ya'll should be use to that :). Any helpful input would be much appreciate.

Dave Russell Smith
02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Have a look at engrave pro, that does barcodes etc, they have a demo you can use

Chip Peterson
02-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Can't you do that with CorelDraw? I have X4 and although I've never tried it, there is a barcode wizard in it. Edit...Insert Barcode...

Doug Griffith
02-21-2009, 1:30 PM
One thing to note about printing barcodes yourself is the quality of the printer. You should really use a laser printer because you'll have less dot gain than an inkjet. Too much dot gain will make barcodes unreadable by scanners. Just being able to create and print them is only a piece of the solution.

Cheers,
Doug

Bob Keyes
02-21-2009, 6:21 PM
I know you can do it with X3 the same as X4. Not too hard if you have the code.

Dave Johnson29
02-21-2009, 6:42 PM
Can't you do that with CorelDraw?

I should think so Chip,

I have v10 and it has Barcodes exactly where you say.

Bill Cunningham
02-21-2009, 9:04 PM
Yup the barcode wizard works pretty slick.. Once you have the code type chosen, sized, and on the screen, you can add more by duplicating it. Once duplicated you can simply click on the barcode and up comes the wizard again, and you can enter new code info for the next barcode and it change what you duplicated to the new info so you don't have to start from scratch with each new code .. I know that might sound confusing, but once you click a duplicated barcode you will see what I mean..

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey, guys, I have done this, it just seems so simple that I just thought for sure I was missing something. But you make it sound like I must have been doing it right. YEA!

- Bill, thank you for the part on duplicating, I had not tried that yet, but it will definitely make it easier.

Thanks again,
Zelma

Jeff Gilchrist
02-22-2009, 10:27 AM
We print hundreds every day, we use a program called Bartender by Seagull Software ( I am in no way affiliated with them). If you are printing alot of barcodes then I would say spend the money on some dedicated software otherwise Corel should work great.

Doug brings a very good point about printer quality, especially if you plan to print the newer 2D Data Matrix type barcodes, a laser printer is the only way to go. We actually use our Epilog Helix 45W to print the codes on label material then kiss cut them to size.