PDA

View Full Version : endgrain table top

Nigel Tracy
02-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi everyone,

Im wondering if anyone could share tips and tricks to smoothing an endgrain round from the trunk of a white pine. I've also seen these "rounds" referred to as "cookies" around here. Mine are 24" dia. cookies by about 3 1/2" thick. The pine is softwood of course and at the moment the surface is not much short of fuzzy, with some of the "fuzziness" of the fibres quite long from the chainsawing-- as in 1/4".

The cookies are years old and very stable with the typical wedge-shaped crack. I believe they were soaked in something to help stabilization when they were fresh.

I am hoping to smooth at least one side of each and add legs for end tables.

I'm thinking about trying the turners trick of using an epoxy cocktail as a hardener. Any other tips or tricks before I try anything?

Brad Wood
02-21-2009, 10:48 AM
wiser folks here may have better info....

I'd just get out the Random orbit sander and start with a heavy grit, working my way through to the finer grits. I might start out using a scraper.

It sounds like they maybe waxed the cookie (hmmm, that sounds dirty). I don't know what technique would be used to get all that off. Not knowing anybetter, I'd just scrape and sand I suppose

Jamie Buxton
02-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Router bridge. Here is a thread using it to flatten big planks, but it works just as well on projects like yours. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97018&highlight=router+bridge

Nigel Tracy
02-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Router bridge. Here is a thread using it to flatten big planks, but it works just as well on projects like yours. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97018&highlight=router+bridge

Cool thought Jamie. I've never used the router in this way on (soft) endgrain. Have you?

Nigel Tracy
02-21-2009, 11:38 AM
wiser folks here may have better info....

I'd just get out the Random orbit sander and start with a heavy grit, working my way through to the finer grits. I might start out using a scraper.

It sounds like they maybe waxed the cookie (hmmm, that sounds dirty). I don't know what technique would be used to get all that off. Not knowing anybetter, I'd just scrape and sand I suppose
Youre right--I'm sure the sander will make an appearance :). But I need to flatten the "top" first and the current issue is that I can't just take my trusty bailey to it due to the soft endgrain... thus the hardening approach.

Jamie Buxton
02-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Cool thought Jamie. I've never used the router in this way on (soft) endgrain. Have you?

I've used a router bridge on endgrain maple, and I've used one on facegrain redwood (which is soft like your pine). They both worked just fine.

Nigel Tracy
02-21-2009, 2:08 PM
I've used a router bridge on endgrain maple, and I've used one on facegrain redwood (which is soft like your pine). They both worked just fine.

Awesome thanks for that :) I think i'll try that method