PDA

View Full Version : Can the SawStop be re-wired, just in case?

Rob Price
02-21-2009, 2:31 AM
Okay, I don't want to start any heated discussions, for whatever reason it seems people feel very strongly either for or against the SS. I've been a long time lurker and read several long posts about the pros/cons of the saw. That's not what my question is about. It does seem like there are a good number of SS users here, so I'm hoping to hear from some of you.

For me, I'm a healthcare professional, I need full use of my hands, the loss of a finger would mean complete disability and much hardship. This is not a discussion of accident vs. incident vs. stupid. I've met too many seasoned woodworking veterans (through my work) missing fingers to ignore.
So I've made up my mind (almost) and decided to get a SawStop, hopefully the newer model coming out this year (at least that's the rumor), or one of the current cabinet saws. A little overtime and we'll be there.

My only hesitation is the proprietary technology and brake system. What happens if SS goes out of biz and I can't get any brakes? Say, 10 years from now, I'm happily using my saw and the brake is triggered (I'll blame it on wet wood) but I can't get any more brakes b/c SS doesn't exist any more, and the thing won't work without a brake. Or if the "brain" gets fried and I can't replace it. Other parts (motor, etc) I'm guessing could be replaced and reverse engineered to work if they fail.

I'm guessing the motor could be wired to a new switch (say from a different manufacturer. Power source to switch to motor) but I wanted to hear from someone who knows more about this than I do. I'm hoping you just bypass the computer and wire a switch directly to the motor.

I know things don't last forever, and hopefully the brake thing will catch on and it will never be an issue, I just don't want to be dead in the water with a perfectly good saw because I can't get a new brake or because the circuit is fried.

Thanks in advance.

Jason White
02-21-2009, 7:09 AM
The brake has an override switch.

Jason

Okay, I don't want to start any heated discussions, for whatever reason it seems people feel very strongly either for or against the SS. I've been a long time lurker and read several long posts about the pros/cons of the saw. That's not what my question is about. It does seem like there are a good number of SS users here, so I'm hoping to hear from some of you.

For me, I'm a healthcare professional, I need full use of my hands, the loss of a finger would mean complete disability and much hardship. This is not a discussion of accident vs. incident vs. stupid. I've met too many seasoned woodworking veterans (through my work) missing fingers to ignore.
So I've made up my mind (almost) and decided to get a SawStop, hopefully the newer model coming out this year (at least that's the rumor), or one of the current cabinet saws. A little overtime and we'll be there.

My only hesitation is the proprietary technology and brake system. What happens if SS goes out of biz and I can't get any brakes? Say, 10 years from now, I'm happily using my saw and the brake is triggered (I'll blame it on wet wood) but I can't get any more brakes b/c SS doesn't exist any more, and the thing won't work without a brake. Or if the "brain" gets fried and I can't replace it. Other parts (motor, etc) I'm guessing could be replaced and reverse engineered to work if they fail.

I'm guessing the motor could be wired to a new switch (say from a different manufacturer. Power source to switch to motor) but I wanted to hear from someone who knows more about this than I do. I'm hoping you just bypass the computer and wire a switch directly to the motor.

I know things don't last forever, and hopefully the brake thing will catch on and it will never be an issue, I just don't want to be dead in the water with a perfectly good saw because I can't get a new brake or because the circuit is fried.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Bureau
02-21-2009, 7:11 AM
why dont you just get a couple of extra brakes and dont worry about it. and even if it did happen, a saved finger is worth the price of the saw even if it couldnt be replaced.

Thomas Williams
02-21-2009, 7:19 AM
I an not that all familiar with the SS, but I would say that you could rewire saw to bypass all of the built in safety features, and configure the SS like most other saws.
To alleviate your fears, and to protect yourself, you should stock up on the brakes.

Kevin Groenke
02-21-2009, 9:04 AM

Rob, I agree with others that brake cartridges are highly unlikely to become unavailable. BUT, if it makes you feel better: yes it would be very simple to rewire the machine to operate without the stopping feature. This would basically entail replacing the "control station" (switch) with a low voltage operator which would engage the existing magnetic switch. This wouls cost less than $50, probably more like $20.

-kg

Brad Townsend
02-21-2009, 9:18 AM
If sales are any indication, Sawstop SHOULD be around for a long time. Of course, even with good sales, a company can tank if it has really bad management.:D

Rob Price
02-23-2009, 6:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Now I just have to wait and see if the rumored new "Professional" Cabinet is the one for me or the existing "Industrial" one.

Dave Bureau
02-23-2009, 8:08 AM
what are the rumors? I havent heard anything.

Rob Price
02-23-2009, 8:34 AM
PopularWoodworking has a blog entry about at "Professional" Cabinet saw on display at the IWF in 2008. Suppossedly the price is more in line with other high end cabinet saws like the new Unisaw/Powermatic etc. It also mentions the recent price increase on the existing model.

3HP only, suppossedly the gas assisted gears are gone, and a more conventional table top size. I emailed SawStop about it, they confirmed they are working on a new model, but wouldn't give me any specs. "Later this year" is the release date.

I could have sworn in Googling this, I came across some forums where suppossedly Glass himself comments on the new saw and mentions a new blade guard as well, but now I can't find it.

You can google "professional cabinet" but you get a lot of info on their existing model. I tried Sawstop hybrid as well, with mixed results.

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-23-2009, 8:41 AM
GM stoppped making the Nova (not the late-80's version - I'm talking the original 'real' car) in what, the late 70's? Yet you can still get stamped sheet metal body panels, engine components, assorted parts, etc.

When they phased out R12 refrigerant, you could actually still buy it for a long time - they just made a lot of it and stocked it. took years to get rid of the supply as I recall.

I would like to think that if SS closed its doors, *someone* would end up owning the IP (intellectual property) around the safety system, and somehow - someone would end up making the cartridges to satisfy the aftermarket demands.

Just my $.02

Dan Lee
02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
The brake has an override switch.

Jason

Bypass mode requires a working brake is installed.

As others have said rewiring the motor to a new mag-switch wouldn't be a problem.