PDA

View Full Version : Up and running...

Narayan Nayar
02-21-2009, 1:54 AM
My new lathe arrived a few weeks earlier than I thought it would, so it's been sitting in the box for a week as I worked on the bench/stand between bouts of cold and flu. It's been a long week, but here are the first shavings:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3528/3297032358_a748abae44.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/etherfarm/3297032358/)

The bench was a quick jobbie--all laminated douglas fir 2x4s with drawbored M&T joints, finished with danish oil and paste wax. It's 72" long and 17" deep and probably weighs a little over 100 lbs. I will also be making a box which will sit on the lower stretchers which will hold another 2-300 lbs of sand, and some storage which will add a few pounds also. There will be a bed extension on the right and an outboard tool rest on the left.

The lathe sits at the back of the garage, where there's still lots of work to do. I need to remove the shelf above the lathe and better insulate the back wall from both impact and sound (there's a bedroom on the other side of this wall). Need to clear all the crap out of the corner on the left, and run a duct and flex from the main run off my cyclone. I need to put my grinder on a rolling cart. And I need to rewire the lathe for 220 and run a 220 line from the box you see in the photo.

But the important thing is that the lathe is out of the box and spinning. And my goodness it's smooth and quiet!

alex carey
02-21-2009, 2:52 AM
congrats on the new lathe. Looks like you will have quite the set up soon. Make sure to show us your first turning.

Jeff Nicol
02-21-2009, 4:53 AM
Narayan, Looks like a great bench and a very nice lathe! If I had the space and the money I would have more and more lathes!!! I truly am addicted to this hobby/business!! Have fun and show us all your wonderful creations!

Jeff

Alan Trout
02-21-2009, 8:12 AM
Narayan,

Congratulations on your new lathe. They are a wonderful machine. I know I love mine. They are amazingly smooth and quite. Now go make a few more shavings. :)

Alan

David Christopher
02-21-2009, 8:42 AM
congrats on your new lathe...looks like you have a nice setup

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Narayan - Congrats on your new lathe! Great looking bench - you should be proud! Sure hope to get to feeling better soon so you can get the area finished and start turning more! Looking forward to seeing your work!

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Congrats on the new lathe and great looking bench. I have the same lathe and just love it. Quiet and smooth.