PDA

View Full Version : Need you to title this for me.

Anthony Welch
02-20-2009, 8:31 PM
I've been asked to donate "something creative". I put it off for 2 months, concepted it for 2 wks, and time in building and creating.....probably 24 hrs.

This is for a "silent auction". This is sponsored by the hospital I work for, their 1st Annual "South Central Health Care Foundation". A lot of local corporate companies are participating. You know, dressy attire, $$$ to get in the door......yada yada yada....!

Pen- Closed-end Baron Platinum Black fountain pen kit, Antler-Mississippi harvested Buck That was good enough to get a 4"+ straight piece from. Also used the tines from the better side for display. The base of display not from same buck. Finish is CA glue.

Base- Red Oak base, trimmed out in Mahoganny from a pallet that I happened upon 18 yrs ago, small MS cedar slab 20+ yrs old as it has some fungal growth in it. Also Laser Engraved a dueling buck scene in it. A 3x2 inch Formica also laser engraved with a deer mount, filled in with black shoe polish.

What I need is a "Theme name" to go above the dueling bucks. It has to be three words or less. I thought of "The Stand" but want my friends here at SMC to name the theme or agree the the name I've choosen.

Thank You!
Anthony

Dee Gallo
02-20-2009, 8:42 PM
Anthony,

I think your creation is wonderful! What a nice pen, I'll bet it feels great in your hand (I'm a "pen person" ) and the presentation is well done with all the different colors and textures. Your finish looks great.

I'm a bit curious as to why you used Formica with all of those natural textures, though. I could see it if it was for a name plate, but for an illustration, I might have used another wood or even cork. In fact, I might even replace it with a rock. Just my opinion, OWIAETH according to Frank.

Anyway, my suggestion for an alternative title would be "Natural Selection".

cheers, dee

Anthony Welch
02-20-2009, 9:15 PM
Dee

Thank you for your opinion. Yes I now see what you see and the formica takes away from the "natual theme" Nothing is permanent now and can change it as I need to. In 5 days I'll have to glue the objects permanent. That is why I would like your input.

I like "Natural Selection" but in the baptist belt that might not go over so well (remember "Scopes" I can be fired as well as honored). But let the votes come in.

As I am giving this away(donating), I want it to be as perfect as can be.:)

Anthony

charlie knighton
02-20-2009, 10:31 PM
sometime after the rut, deer drop the antler's, this time period--does it have a name

sorry, i fish not hunt

Dee Gallo
02-21-2009, 12:09 AM
I just want to say one thing here, I don't like it when artists are pushed by politics, but I understand what you are saying about the title. Something like Natural Selection works on many levels, as does The Stand.

So here is a list of some other titles you might consider:
Forest Pride
Woodland Drama
Home of the Brave
Chance Meeting
Fight or Flight
Moment of Truth
Power Play
Brothers
Spirited Encounter
Nature's Way
Seasonal Contest
Territorial Test
Balance
Head to Head
Age Old Tradition
Destiny
Elegance in Motion

I could come up with with a hundred of these...

cheers, dee

Steve Clarkson
02-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Man, if I ever need something named.....I'm calling Dee!

It's a beautiful piece Anthony.....you should be proud of that one.

But I agree.....the formica doesn't fit it.

"The Stand" is too Stephen King-ish.

I'm not creative, so unfortuneately, I have no good suggestions for you.

But I'd be happy to vote when you come up with the finalists.

Anthony Welch
02-21-2009, 6:50 AM
Steve,

I think Dee has covered all the nominations of names. I too, am not creative when it comes to wording and phrasing. And most of the time say the wrong thing.

After sleeping on it, I like "Natural Selection". It's appropriate for the theme and the way in which it came together for me.

Anthony

Belinda Barfield
02-21-2009, 7:05 AM
I can't compete with Dee, and I like Natural Selection. If you need a back up in keeping with the traditions of the area how about "God's Hand" or "God's Plan". If you look at it from that angle God provided the materials, gave you the skill to use them in such a beautiful manner, and the venue to display both his/her handiwork (depending on your POV) and yours.

Ross Lowry
02-21-2009, 8:42 AM
How about
Broken Tines

Gary Garmar
02-21-2009, 9:00 AM
How about " THE STAND-OFF"

Dave Johnson29
02-21-2009, 10:06 AM
What I need is a "Theme name" to go above the dueling bucks.

Great project Anthony, how about
Write of Passage
Birth Write
Penultimate Challenge
Fountain of Youth

I have a long drive today so will try for a few more. :)

Dan Hintz
02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
In line with Gary's suggestion, the first thing that popped into my head was simply "The Duel"...

Dee Gallo
02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Great project Anthony, how about
Write of Passage
Birth Write
Penultimate Challenge
Fountain of Youth

I have a long drive today so will try for a few more. :)

Good ones, Dave!

Stephen Beckham
02-21-2009, 11:17 AM
It may be too late to add another, but how about something along the lines "Where the Biggest Buck Counts!" since it's a fund raiser and play off of the donation amount related to a Buck Deer.

Dave Russell Smith
02-21-2009, 12:37 PM
how about Nature's Elements :o or Elements of Nature

Scott Erwin
02-21-2009, 3:07 PM
I think Dee has done it again...

"Natural Selection"

My vote is in....
Good Luck in getting BIG $$$ for your donation....

Donations for good organizations is one area that we all, as engravers and business owners/persons, can really make a good mark and impression on others. Giving our works for others to see that may not really get to see them. Kinda like the woodworkers, they really give a lot for what they get in return. Lots and not getting lots in return.

Dave Johnson29
02-21-2009, 3:35 PM
Good ones, Dave!

Wow, thanks Dee, coming from you that is indeed an accolade.

Unfortunately the drive, the sunshine and the KFC for lunch dulled any further inspiration. :D

Dee Gallo
02-21-2009, 5:12 PM
Would you like me to send you some Venison Sticks for inspiration?

Dean Thomas
02-21-2009, 6:54 PM
What about taking Dee's thought one letter further?

Natural Selections

or

The Bucks Stop Here

Dave Johnson29
02-21-2009, 7:01 PM
Would you like me to send you some Venison Sticks for inspiration?

Thanks Dee,

I suspect that would stifle what little is left. I'd have to reach for a beer (or two) to smooth their way down and then it would be "That's all she..." :D:D

Speaking of Beer... Hmmm, 5:00pm on the dot.

Michael Doyle
02-21-2009, 7:36 PM
How about - Deer Me

Frank Corker
02-21-2009, 8:51 PM
How about - Deer Me

Oh deer me

Bill Cunningham
02-21-2009, 9:18 PM
Unfortunately in Ontario, the words would be 'loosen my handcuffs"
It's Illegal here to sell any part of any wild animal taken in Ontario, so my big problem would start with convincing the C.O. I didn't buy the antler, nor am I selling any part of them.. (this of course would be done at great expense in court after I was charged) All I can do with my antlers, (well, not 'mine' but the ones on deer I've shot:p) is display them, or use them for rattlin up the next one..

Nice job though..

Anthony Welch
02-22-2009, 1:18 AM
I appreciate all the suggestions from my friends here at SMC. Dee's first entry was the "Natural Selection" for me to make(no pun intended:D).

But no one is a loser, as I am gonna continue to make these "Concept Displays" and use each and every one of the titles given. Except this time I'll profit from it. Hopefully it'll roll around to "Natural Selection II" and so forth. If I don't bore you, I'll post them as they are created.

As I don't have any wood thins at this time, I opted to use 1/8" birch ply to do as Tom Bull suggested.

I have until Friday to turn this in. I'm gonna turn it in Monday. The longer it sits here, the more I think no one is gonna get it.:D

Again, I appreciate the attention you've given.

Anthony

Frank Corker
02-22-2009, 7:17 AM
Nice amendment. Looks positively inspired.

Dee Gallo
02-22-2009, 9:30 AM
Nicely completed, Anthony! This is a piece you can be proud of and whoever buys it will treasure it.

cheers, dee

Jeremy Butler
10-20-2009, 2:54 PM
can I ask how you attached the antler pieces to the main stand? and what are the different types of wood used? and lastly did you put a coat of sealant or something over the entire piece including the antlers? your work is very impressive I have a couple antlers in in my garage and was thinking about trying to make something for my bedroom on a night stand and something like this would be awesome. Any insights would be very appreciated thanks for sharing your work

George M. Perzel
10-20-2009, 3:47 PM
How about
"The Buck stops here"
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Anthony Welch
10-20-2009, 7:24 PM
Here ya go Jeremy,

Pen- Closed-end Baron Platinum Black fountain pen kit, Antler-Mississippi harvested Buck That was good enough to get a 4"+ straight piece from. Also used the tines from the better side for display. The base of display not from same buck. Finish is CA glue.

Base- Red Oak base, trimmed out in Mahoganny from a pallet that I happened upon 18 yrs ago, small MS cedar slab 20+ yrs old as it has some fungal growth in it. Also Laser Engraved a dueling buck scene in it. Attached the antlers with hex head wood screws(just what I had laying around) long enough to go through the base and about 1/2" into the times. I just eye-balled the angle, nothing complicated there.

Finish-Took everything apart. Buffed the tines with tripoli and white diamond. Lacquered everything by itself. Three coats of lacquer, except the cedar slab, it took 6 coats as it drank it up.

Anthony