PDA

View Full Version : Stanley tote screw

Tristan Raymond
02-20-2009, 2:57 PM
I just spent some time at my local hardware store looking for a replacement for the small screw at the front of the tote. This is for a No 5 type 12/13. Best I could tell from the worn out screw identifier at the store it looks like they are #12 1/2" of some undetermined thread count (it fit in the 24 tpi, but didn't match up with an actual screw). I'd like a round head flat slot replacement, but if that's not possible a Philips would be OK. If anyone could help me find a source I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

David Keller NC
02-20-2009, 3:03 PM
Probably best to get this from a dealer that has a few parts lying around. Stanley was famous for using oddball thread pitches and diameters - I went though real conniption fits trying to get the correct one for a couple of antiques until I found a guy at the flea market that had boxes and boxes of "junker" parts.

Tom Henderson2
02-20-2009, 3:08 PM
I needed the long threaded stud that holds the tote on, and just bought the parts from Stanley and they fit fine. Their online parts site had different menus for English-built and US-built planes.

The parts were cheap too; two or three bucks for the parts and a couple bucks for shipping.

Worth a try.

-TH

Tristan Raymond
02-20-2009, 3:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I checked with Stanley first as someone was mentioning a plane part kit for $10 some months ago. It has everything in both metric and imperial, except for the tote screw - no metric, no imperial. The plane did come with a brass hex bolt, so I figured it wasn't too uncommon of a size. I just would like it to look nice/authentic. Google shows someone in Australia selling them for $6 AUD each. Old tools aren't real common around here, so I buy my Stanley planes on eBay. Maybe someone will offer up some parts there at some point. I was just hoping for an easier solution :)

Jim Koepke
02-20-2009, 4:04 PM
Tristen,

You are looking for a #12 at 20 tpi. It is the same thread as the screws holding on the frog. I have made these from a frog screw by filing the head round. This is the same thread on the #3 and above tote & knob rods. Not sure if the #2 is the same, I know the knob on the #1 is different.

I have found 1/4-20 adjustable dies to be able to cut the threads on a #12 stud. I have also found a source for 12-20 taps.

Do a google search for Bob Kaune and you will find a source for frog screws and the tote screw. He wants $2.35 for a pair of frog screws and $8.95 for the tote screw.

Other than living in Washington state, there is no other relationship between him and me.

jim

Ralph Barhorst
02-20-2009, 4:15 PM
Here is the Stanley web site for the parts.
http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planekits.html

Tristan Raymond
02-20-2009, 4:23 PM
Thanks, that gives me a several options. Bob's site calls them 'handle screws' so googling that I found Highland Hardware has some parts that may fit. I also looked back at the Stanley site and even though it's not in the picture I wonder if the "handle toe" is in fact the screw I'm looking for. I may start with a frog screw and see how it turns out.