PDA

View Full Version : TS / Router Workstations

Todd Hyman
02-20-2009, 1:56 PM
I currently have a Delta contractor TS (I think 36-675) and currently have it on a Rigid Herc-U-Lift which has worked good. I need to build a router table and have looked at the NYW router table. My workshop is in the basement and is 14ft x 22ft and I have all of my power tools on mobile carts.

My question is with my size of work shop, is it better to combine a TS and router workstation into one workstation (like the Wood magazine pictured below) or two separate workstations. I also would like to know your experiences of having one combination TS/Router workstation or separate workstations, what worked and what didn't and what would you do differently.

Of course I need to use all of my available space wisely and find storage wherever possible.

Chris Harry
02-20-2009, 2:08 PM
I currently have the Ridgid contractor saw and a separate router table (cabinet, actually.......Bench Dog). I just got the Ridgid saw, and one of the first things I thought about was making/buying a router table for the table saw extension.

Right now Im still on the fence........Im not sure I can sell my Bench Dog setup easily, and Im also not sure if Id regret not having a full cabinet setup for it. It would be great to have the extra room (the cabinet isnt currently on a mobile base), Im just worried having it built into the table saw will somehow limit capability (the TS wing table would be a little smaller) and/or cause me to not use it as much (i.e. Id have to roll out the saw to use it, etc).

D.McDonnel "Mac"
02-20-2009, 3:09 PM
I have a Unisaw with the 52" cut right hand table. I had an old home made router table that I retired a couple of years ago in favor of mounting the router in the right hand end of the tablesaw. I love the setup and the space it freed up in the shop. It has it's own bench dog fence that I can remove quickly if I have a wide cut to make on the TS (rare). I built a cabinet to go under the right end of the outfeed table, replacing the support legs, and giving me a place for all the routers and router parafanellia.

Mac

glenn bradley
02-20-2009, 4:07 PM
The 24" x 27" extension RT on my hybrid was transferred from my old contractor saw when I upgraded. I've never had a stand alone router table. For the type of work I do it is the perfect setup.

rich murray
02-20-2009, 5:15 PM
I have a Delta contractor's saw too with the space on the right side now home to a shop-built router table with storage below. Even if some day I want a stand-alone router table I would leave the one on the table saw there for storage if nothing else. This set up has been very handy for me in a two-car garage with most stuff on wheels and floor space a premium. Infeed for table saw and outfeed for router table access driveway when garage door is open. The table saw is on wheels, but I never move it. Don't know why I would want a stand-alone router table instead of the set up I have now.

Joe Scharle
02-20-2009, 5:18 PM
No question.....the area under the wings are consuming SF whether it has a RT underneath or just air.