PDA

View Full Version : Gloat warning ahead - Do not open if...

Toney Robertson
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
you are bothered by arm breaking back patting! ;)

I applied to the 9 County Art Show put on by the Honeywell Center in Wabash Indiana. It is a juried event with categories of painting, drawing and other.

I had TWO pieces juried in. I was ecstatic. I did not win any of the prizes but that is OK since I have been at this only about a year. What is most important to me is that I get my name out there and continue to try and build a resume.

It was interesting to me as to what pieces they accepted and the one they rejected. Here is the two they accepted.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/161-61A.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/122-22.jpg

But they did not accept what I thought was the most artsy piece.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/147-47.jpg

Toney

Don Carter
02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey Toney:
Step aside, let me do the patting! Great looking stuff! Congratulations, keep it up. You've got the talent, just continue to pursue your goal. It will happen!

All the best.

Don

ROY DICK
02-20-2009, 1:14 PM
WOW!Congrats and continued success.

Roy

Kirk Miller
02-20-2009, 1:28 PM
A huge pat on the back from Alaska Toney. If I can progress so far in a year I will be doing the same back patting. You deserve to be proud Toney.

Prashun Patel
02-20-2009, 1:32 PM
Love your work. Love your honesty! I love the 3rd piece best of all too. Keep up the inspiring work!

Steve Schlumpf
02-20-2009, 2:04 PM
Congrats Toney! I'm not surprised at your success! Interesting to note that the pieces that are more of a contemporary design were accepted and the one that is more of a folk art style was not. Probably just what these particular jurors were looking for at the time and in no way a reflection of the pieces themselves!

Very nice work on all three turnings! Looking forward to hearing about the next show you get into! Keep up the good work!

Art Mulder
02-20-2009, 2:24 PM
First, Toney, congratulations. It's great news.
As for their selections... well I'm not much of a fan of natural-edge stuff myself, so I agree with them. I like those first two pieces the best.

But on the silly front... :rolleyes:

That second piece looks really, really familiar.

So I flipped it.

Do you see it yet?

:
:
:

:
:
:

wait for it

:
:
:
Here, don't you see the resemblance?

:p:D:p:D
Please forgive me. It's a Friday afternoon and I couldn't help myself!

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2009, 3:06 PM
Congrats Toney. Well done. You got your name out there.

Sean Troy
02-20-2009, 3:14 PM
Looks like lots of natural talent !!! Way to go.

Jim Kountz
02-20-2009, 3:23 PM
Tony congrats on the success!! I bet you were walking on air huh!! I love all the pieces but let me share with you something that was told to me the other day. I was showing a friend of mine some of my turnings and I showed him a NE bowl I did. He said, "Jim you know I love your work but that thing looks like a stump someone put poly on". I was kinda shocked and when he explained further it hit me that sometimes those of us "in the field" so to speak understand and appreciate what goes into making such a thing whereas the public or non turners sometimes dont "get it".
So my point here is for YOU to know that is a very artistic piece worthy of any show Ive ever been to but that not everyone is going to get it. Kinda like Picaso, I still dont get his stuff!!
Just know that all of us here love it and "we know".

Toney Robertson
02-20-2009, 6:16 PM
First, Toney, congratulations. It's great news.
As for their selections... well I'm not much of a fan of natural-edge stuff myself, so I agree with them. I like those first two pieces the best.

But on the silly front... :rolleyes:

That second piece looks really, really familiar.

So I flipped it.

Do you see it yet?

:
:
:

:
:
:

wait for it

:
:
:
Here, don't you see the resemblance?

:p:D:p:D
Please forgive me. It's a Friday afternoon and I couldn't help myself!

Art,

Now that is funny and I understand the correlation between that piece and "space". They asked for the names of the pieces and that piece I named Andromeda as in the Andromeda galaxy!!

So we must think alike.

Toney

Toney Robertson
02-20-2009, 6:18 PM
Thanks for all the kind responses.

I have been walking on air all day today. :D

Toney

Tony De Masi
02-20-2009, 6:25 PM
Congratulations Toney. I hope it leads to more exposure of your talents.

Tony

Brian Effinger
02-21-2009, 12:08 AM
One more Congrats Toney. I really like all of the pieces. You have true talent to progress this far in only a year's time. :)

Robert McGowen
02-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Is this the same Toney that was in the dumps and giving up turning last year?
Nah.... has to be a different guy! ;)

Congratulations!

alex carey
02-21-2009, 1:13 AM
All three are great elegant pieces but I agree with you completely. I think the third is the best and is the most "Artsy".

Dewey Torres
02-21-2009, 2:00 AM
All are great. Congrats!

Chris Barnett
02-21-2009, 2:01 AM
Your second piece was probably accepted because the shape is so common....with all the reports of UFOs these days :D. I like the first best...and would like a little more if the inside edge undercut the rim a bit...somewhat like a.... roulette wheel :eek:...now I know why I like it best!