PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace a sheet of plywood deck on my roof

Rick Huelsbeck
02-20-2009, 11:50 AM
What kind of plywood would I need? During our ice storm I had a 1" stick go through it and it's all that has to be fixed, can't find anyone to take the job so I'm going to have to do it myself. Good thing it's on the back side of the house so no one can see if I can't exactly match the shingles.

Lee Schierer
02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Use CDX plywood of the same thickness as the rest of the sheeting on the roof.

Rick Huelsbeck
02-20-2009, 1:01 PM
Thanks Lee, It's going to be fun getting on the roof of a 2 story house :eek:

Lee Schierer
02-20-2009, 1:38 PM
Thanks Lee, It's going to be fun getting on the roof of a 2 story house :eek:

If you are not used to working on roofs, make sure you have a good safety harness and tie off point on the roof. It is easy to slip and fall if you aren't fully aware of the hazards. Your insurance should cover the storm damage so you might want to consider having a pro do the work or at least get estimates before you do it. Lots of roofers out there without full time work that should give you a decent price.

Rick Huelsbeck
02-20-2009, 2:30 PM
There are no unemployed roofers here, we had an ice storm that caused a lot of damage from limps falling and then we had a wind storm within 2 weeks, caused even more damage, the little damage I have the folks that have looked at it tell me they don't have time for something that small, it really makes me mad. I'm no stranger to being on the roof though, plus slope is not to bad.

Charles Robertson
02-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Rick,
Don't know what experience you have working on a roof but if you are not comfortable with heights I'd recommend you keep your feet on the ground. If you must attempt it, then get a safety line across the peak and tie off on the other side. You can tie off the slack as you move up or down the roof at your safety belt. Depending on the size of the hole, (maybe 2"?) you can cover that with possibly a coffee can lid. Remove damaged shingles, secure metal patch (screws), add some felt paper, replace new shingles. Use metal and you won't have to cut into your roof to replace a piece of sheathing. Six and above pitch is when roof walking gets a little interesting. Five and below is no problem. Good luck. C. Alan

Lee Schierer
02-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Rick,
Don't know what experience you have working on a roof but if you are not comfortable with heights I'd recommend you keep your feet on the ground. If you must attempt it, then get a safety line across the peak and tie off on the other side. You can tie off the slack as you move up or down the roof at your safety belt. Depending on the size of the hole, (maybe 2"?) you can cover that with possibly a coffee can lid. Remove damaged shingles, secure metal patch (screws), add some felt paper, replace new shingles. Use metal and you won't have to cut into your roof to replace a piece of sheathing. Six and above pitch is when roof walking gets a little interesting. Five and below is no problem. Good luck. C. Alan

I read about an accident regrading this method, where the guy couldn't find any good tie off points on the roof so he ran the rope over the roof and down to the bumper of his truck in the front yard. After a bit he saw he was running low on roofing nails so he yelled at his wife and asked her to go get some more. She said sure and he went back to work. His wife went through the house out the front door, saw the truck sitting there with the keys in it so off she went, yanking him up and over the roof.

Charles Robertson
02-23-2009, 4:28 PM
Whoa.
Hope she didn't have to drive far to get the nails.
C. Alan

Chris Padilla
02-23-2009, 5:36 PM
I read about an accident regrading this method, where the guy couldn't find any good tie off points on the roof so he ran the rope over the roof and down to the bumper of his truck in the front yard. After a bit he saw he was running low on roofing nails so he yelled at his wife and asked her to go get some more. She said sure and he went back to work. His wife went through the house out the front door, saw the truck sitting there with the keys in it so off she went, yanking him up and over the roof.

I could see my wife doing this: her observation skills are next to zero.

Note to self: never tie oneself to an object that can move....

Steve Knowlton
02-24-2009, 6:02 PM
Rick, If it is only a 1" hole i would get a piece of galv. flashing to cover the hole. then replace a couple of the shingles. no sense in replacing a whole sheet. just my thought. Steve

Bob Lloyd
02-24-2009, 6:35 PM
How big is the hole, where is it on the roof and what is the pitch of the roof?

Rick Huelsbeck
02-27-2009, 8:57 AM
I'm not afraid to be on the roof and I'm not about to tie off to a car :D, I tie off to the front porch. However I finally found some one to do the job for me and believe it or not, at what the insurance company said it would cost :eek: