PDA

View Full Version : Corel text editing

Eric Seest
02-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I hate to ask a such a simple question but I am still learning corel and I am needing to write text on a frame and the text needs to on the side of the frame not the top or bottom. Entering between all the letters puts too much space between the letters. Needs too look like this,
but without the spaces between the numbers. Thanks for any help!

Dave Johnson29
02-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Needs too look like this,
but without the spaces between the numbers. Thanks for any help!

Eric,
Several ways to do this. Create four separate text items...
2 then 0 then 0 then 9

Now use the Arrow (Select) tool and move then where you want them. Move the 2 to where you need it, then select the first 0 and drag it under the 2.

Play with "Arrange" "Align and Distribute" to get things lined up.

Another way is to use the "Line" percentage in the Font properties. Try around 65%. That will change what is called the Leading, (as in typesetters Lead) or the space between successive lines.

Bill Cunningham
02-20-2009, 10:26 AM
If you select the text as a group, then select the node tool you will see some adjustment marks below and to the right of the text.. (looks like a ground or earth electronics symbol) by putting the cursor on these and holding down the left button you drag it and increase or decrease the spaces between letters or lines..

Eric Seest
02-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Okay both of those work except that I am trying to type the word Senior and every time the i becomes upper case is there any way to keep it lower case. This is what it looks like.
S
e
n
I
o
r
any ideas on fixing the i?

Dave Johnson29
02-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Okay both of those work except that I am trying to type the word Senior and every time the i becomes upper case is there any way to keep it lower case. This is what it looks like.
S
e
n
I
o
r
any ideas on fixing the i?

You have "auto-correct" turned on in Spell check. Not sure why Corel thinks a lower case "i" is incorrect but that's it. Maybe the word is misspelled in the dictionary as mine shows an underline indicating an error with the lower case "i" ins Senior.

Eric Seest
02-20-2009, 10:55 AM
You have "auto-correct" turned on in Spell check. Not sure why Corel thinks a lower case "i" is incorrect but that's it. Maybe the word is misspelled in the dictionary as mine shows an underline indicating an error with the lower case "i" ins Senior.

Thanks for the help. I went to auto correct and changed i to be replaced with i instead of I. Once again thank you for the help. I didn't think it would be that easy; I figured corel had some type of tool that would rotate the text and adjust the spacing.:)

Mike Null
02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Yet another way:

Draw a straight vertical line, type the text.

Select text, fit to path, select the straight line.

Several tools will appear on the menu bar. Select the one on the left and then the last one on that drop down. That will make the text vertical.

You will see a red diamond shaped icon, by moving that you can position the text.

You can kern it more by using the shape tool and selcting each node individually.

Dave Johnson29
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the help.

I figured corel had some type of tool that would rotate the text and adjust the spacing.

My Pleasure Eric,

Thsank you for acknowledging it.

Corel can do a lot of stuff and as Mike has said, you can even use the Shape tool. Probably 15 ways to skin that cat. I can think of a couple more ways and I am not that conversant with Corel yet.

Jacob Hebert
02-20-2009, 2:25 PM
Yet another way:

Type it as you were doing before, and bring up the Paragraph Formatting docker (under the Text menu). Here, you can change the various spacings between texts. It's been incredibly helpful with logos that are all text, but awkward spacing...

As for the Auto-Correct option, that's under Text, Writing Tools, QuickCorrect. You can individually turn off different "autocorrections", or just tell it you know what you're doing with your grammar and turn them all off. :D

The Character Formatting docker also helps if you want to do things like super/subscript and Small Caps. It's been very helpful with formatting for some of my plaques.

Hope I have helped out a fellow Creeker. :D

Eric Seest
02-20-2009, 3:58 PM
Thanks to all!:D Yes there does seem to be more then one to skin this cat, even though it has kicked my butt for sometime now but I think I have it now. It appears that each option has its place depending on what you are doing. Once again thank you very much.

Jacob Hebert
02-20-2009, 3:59 PM
Anytime. I love to help! :D (And I'm sure the rest of the Creekers do too. :D )

Belinda Barfield
02-20-2009, 4:11 PM
Okay, I learned lots of new stuff just in this one thread, but you guys sure are keen on skinnin' cats.:eek: Thanks for all the great info!