PDA

View Full Version : Incra 1000SE Miter Gauge

Prashun Patel
02-20-2009, 8:41 AM
Read lotsa positive reviews on this here.
Is $111 delivered a good price?

Any other opinions on a better miter gauge?

Tim Malyszko
02-20-2009, 8:59 AM
That price isn't too bad.

From Frozenwarrior:

Amazon.com Price: $111.34 2009-02-18 20:12:34 PST
90 Day Range: $99.99 - $159.95; High Delta: 30.4%; Changes: 8
All Time Overall Range: $99.99 - $179.14; Number Of Sellers: 5

I was able to get it at $99.99 a year or two ago.

Here are my thoughts on the gauge:

It sat on my shelf for 3 months before pulling it out - I dropped my crosscut sled, which broke so I finally had a need for it.
Since assembling it, I have yet to replace the crosscut sled. The miter gauge is dead on accurate.
You can easily and accurately set any angle you could ever need (okay, within 1 degree).
I don't use the on board ruler because it is a PITA to zero the gauge, I find it easier to measure and set.
I've dropped it a number of times and it still is as accurate as the day I got it.
Very easy to switch from Left to Right mitre slot and back.
Very easy to assemble.
I recently added the Mitreexpress to it, which has essentially replaced my cross-cut sled completely.
Personally, I would purchase it again, even at $111 - worth every penny.

Jacob Mac
02-20-2009, 9:05 AM
I bought mine used, but the price you mention seems in the ballpark of what I have seen. I have seen it dip into the $95-99 range, so maybe if you are patient you can save a few bucks. But it is an excellent addition to a TS. I really like mine.

Mike Goetzke
02-20-2009, 9:06 AM
Woodpeck has them on sale now for $99 but you have to pay shipping. If you watch, Rockler/Woodcraft/Amazon many times has them for $100 shipped.

Mike

Bob Slater
02-20-2009, 9:06 AM
I paid $99 off Amazon a couple of months ago.

Dave Bureau
02-20-2009, 9:36 AM
they have a new model out now. 1000HD I think its notched out every 1 degree instead of every 5 degrees.

Tim Malyszko
02-20-2009, 9:42 AM
they have a new model out now. 1000HD I think its notched out every 1 degree instead of every 5 degrees.

Wow, I just looked at it. The number of teeth on that thing is insane. Personally, setting angles between the 5 degree teeth is so simple and accurate, I cannot imagine needing more teeth. With that many teeth, I can easily see myself setting it up for a 45 degree cut, but accidently setting it at 46 or 44 and not realizing it until after I made all my cuts.

From their website:
http://www.incra.com/images/miter_1000hd_pictop_zoom.jpg

Tom Esh
02-20-2009, 10:40 AM
It's a great tool except for the number of adjustments that require a hex key. For example having to dig out a hex key simply to adjust the telescoping fence is ridiculous IMO. First thing I did was replace a few of those with knurled equivalents. Hard to figure how they missed that given the obvious engineering effort that went into it.

Tim Malyszko
02-20-2009, 10:47 AM
It's a great tool except for the number of adjustments that require a hex key.

Mine came with a screwdriver with the proper hex key on it and I just keep it with my other screwdrivers. Did your's not come with one?

Tom Esh
02-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Mine came with a screwdriver with the proper hex key on it and I just keep it with my other screwdrivers. Did your's not come with one?

Of course it did, but I still had to go get it, dig it out of a pocket, remember where it was, or whatever. It's only a minor and easily resolved annoyance - but so easy they should have thought of it.:D

Matt Day
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I love mine - FAR superior to any stock miter gauge.

I agree with Tom about the hex keys. I'll probably look into getting some knurled equivalents as well. Where'd you get yours Tom?

I like my 100SE but I'd get the 1000HD and all it's teeth if I were to do it again. The demarkations look very clearly and precisely marked, so IMO if you place it at 44 instead of 45, you're not paying enough attention anyway! But I haven't used anything but the 5 degree teeth yet so the 1000HD wouldn't have done anything for me yet.

Just buy it! :)

Prashun Patel
02-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I wish you all had said that it was crap, and not worth it.
I need an excuse to spend another $100 like a hole in the head.

Bill White
02-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Mine has served me well. I studied lots of gauges before purchashing the SE. I'd buy it again.
Bill:D

Tom Esh
02-20-2009, 12:33 PM
I love mine - FAR superior to any stock miter gauge.

I agree with Tom about the hex keys. I'll probably look into getting some knurled equivalents as well. Where'd you get yours Tom?

There's not enough clearance in those extrusion channels to use a standard bolt and knurled nut, so you have replace the bolt.

McMaster-Carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#thumb-screws/=opj02

Check the length. As I recall, 3/8" is about the right length for the fence slide, but a bit short for some of the others I replaced. I got a box of the 1/2" and cut one down for the fence.

Dave Bureau
02-20-2009, 12:41 PM
I have the SE and a jointech. The jointech wins hands down. you can use the stop at any angle without resettiing.

Don Morris
02-20-2009, 12:57 PM
The jointech should be better for around $300.00 delivered.

Herb Linderman
02-20-2009, 1:08 PM
What does a jointech sell for?

Prashun Patel
02-20-2009, 1:30 PM
I have the SE and a jointech. The jointech wins hands down. you can use the stop at any angle without resettiing.

But at $260, shouldn't you really compare the Jointech to the Incra 5000? I wonder how it fares compared to that. Also, does the JTech have a drop off sled?

Jim Kountz
02-20-2009, 3:12 PM
Thats a fair price, just buy it you will never regret it. Excellent tool!!

Dave Bureau
02-20-2009, 4:01 PM
But at $260, shouldn't you really compare the Jointech to the Incra 5000? I wonder how it fares compared to that. Also, does the JTech have a drop off sled?

yes, but even the 5000 doesnt do what the jointech does. The jointechs stop is accurate in any angle and the end of the backrest or what ever you want to call it is always at the edge of the blade. the jointech has a sled on the right side of the blade.

Dale Lesak
02-20-2009, 6:40 PM
It's a great tool except for the number of adjustments that require a hex key. For example having to dig out a hex key simply to adjust the telescoping fence is ridiculous IMO. First thing I did was replace a few of those with knurled equivalents. Hard to figure how they missed that given the obvious engineering effort that went into it.

I replaced them with the adjustable lever handles. never had a problem with them, also trimmed the fence at a 45º for more support closer to the blade on angle cuts

george wilson
02-20-2009, 11:14 PM
I found the anodized extruded aluminum so slippery that I had to face my Incra with wood. It especially slipped when cutting dados.

Craig Johnson
02-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Love mine as well.
Once the miters are adjusted, it doesnt have any play in it at all.
Great product.
GET ONE NOW!!!

Dewey Torres
02-21-2009, 2:10 AM
Get it and be done with it...as with most Incra products!

Chris Padilla
02-21-2009, 2:24 AM
It's garbage...don't get it....

(from the guy who has a garage full of Incra and loves them....)

Prashun Patel
03-17-2009, 4:05 PM
Finally pulled the trigger. $104 shipped from AMZN. Can't wait. Cursed Ground Shipping!!!

Tom Veatch
03-17-2009, 6:09 PM
Of course it did, but I still had to go get it, dig it out of a pocket, remember where it was, or whatever. It's only a minor and easily resolved annoyance - but so easy they should have thought of it.:D

Mine fits perfectly in and has found a home in the U-channel that connects my front rail to the saw body. Lays there 24/7 out of the way and ready for whenever it might be needed.

Tim Null
03-17-2009, 6:13 PM
Get a magnet strip and hang it near your saw. Then hang the screwdriver/hex head on it. Then you will have the proper tool at your disposal.

This has replaced my nice, custom made sled as well. It gathers dust. Can't bring myself to dismantle it though.

Prashun Patel
03-23-2009, 8:52 AM
Got it this weekend installed. Easy as pie to set up. Boy, I see what everyone's talking about. It's a great tool. I find it extremely accurate.