PDA

View Full Version : USMC uniform in my attic

Michael Weber
02-20-2009, 1:04 AM
Found a complete Marine Corp uniform in the attic of my new old house. Best I can guess from the real estate records it was left about 7 or 8 years ago. I have the name but they are no longer local. I'd like to find out if he wants it. Searched the name online with no luck and the only USMC member site I find is restricted. Suggestions?

Dewey Torres
02-20-2009, 1:07 AM
Found a complete Marine Corp uniform in the attic of my new old house. Best I can guess from the real estate records it was left about 7 or 8 years ago. I have the name but they are no longer local. I'd like to find out if he wants it. Searched the name online with no luck and the only USMC member site I find is restricted. Suggestions?

Send the info to me in a PM and I will see what I can do.

Michael Weber
02-20-2009, 1:22 AM
PM'ed you Dewey. Thanks

Dewey Torres
02-20-2009, 1:24 AM
I got it and I will have an answer to you by this time tomorrow... no promises ok?;)

Tom Veatch
02-20-2009, 2:08 AM
Found a complete Marine Corp uniform in the attic of my new old house....

Sure wish it were mine. When I was released from active duty, I left my uniforms in the care of my parents while I was in school and frequently moving and travelling as I built a civilian life and career. I have no idea what might have happened to them as they were nowhere to be found when my brothers and I settled my parent's estate after their death. Those uniforms are a link to a very significant and important time of my life that has been forever lost.

I hope you and Dewey can locate the owner. I'm sure he would appreciate their return. I know I certainly would.

Dewey Torres
02-21-2009, 2:45 AM
No luck... found that same last mane at Pendleton but none of that full name in the data base. Sorry.:(

Belinda Barfield
02-21-2009, 6:57 AM
Could you post in the personals on Craig's List, or maybe an ad in the local paper. Someone might know him or be related to him. Dewey, I don't mean to ask a stupid question but was the data base you searched for entire USMC? I have a friend at Parris Island and I could ask to check as well.

Mike Henderson
02-21-2009, 12:03 PM
When I got out, I went to the University ROTC building and donated all my uniforms (greens and formal dress) to be given to a deserving candidate who could fit into them. Officers have to buy their uniforms (don't know if that's still true).

I gave them to the top sergeant with those instructions, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sold them to one of the candidates (I was in the army that long).

Mike

Dewey Torres
02-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Dewey, I don't mean to ask a stupid question but was the data base you searched for entire USMC? I have a friend at Parris Island and I could ask to check as well.

Belinda,
You may try that Paris Island option. I have Marines where I work and they tried the worldwide one that Still has John Glenn and Olly North in it as well as lots of active duty. He was not able to find him there.

Belinda Barfield
02-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Michael, if you would like to PM or e-mail the name to me I'll see what I can do. I'm not sure if my PI friend is in the country, or out right now, so it may take a week or so for me to track him down.

Michael Weber
02-21-2009, 6:29 PM
Apologizes to Dewey and Belinda. Gave you the wrong name. Sorry, I have CRS real bad. I have PM'ed you with the correct one.
Mike

Aaron Berk
02-21-2009, 11:26 PM
http://marines.togetherweserved.com/usmc/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=AddBrother&type=PersonExt&ID=89719&_C_ADD_SELECTED=Add+Selected+to+My+ (http://marines.togetherweserved.com/usmc/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=AddBrother&type=PersonExt&ID=89719&_C_ADD_SELECTED=Add+Selected+to+My+Brothers)

Don't know if I voided rules or not. But this is where I hung my name at when I got out. Semper Fi
Lots of ppl on record here, plus you never know who has a "friend of a friend of a friend" who knows the guy your looking for.

Aaron
USMC 98-2003

Michael Weber
02-22-2009, 11:09 AM
http://marines.togetherweserved.com/usmc/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=AddBrother&type=PersonExt&ID=89719&_C_ADD_SELECTED=Add+Selected+to+My+ (http://marines.togetherweserved.com/usmc/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=AddBrother&type=PersonExt&ID=89719&_C_ADD_SELECTED=Add+Selected+to+My+Brothers)

Don't know if I voided rules or not. But this is where I hung my name at when I got out. Semper Fi
Lots of ppl on record here, plus you never know who has a "friend of a friend of a friend" who knows the guy your looking for.

Aaron
USMC 98-2003
Thanks Aaron, that's the first site I found but unfortunately is restricted to former Jar Heads so I couldn't even get past the front door.

Tom Veatch
02-22-2009, 1:06 PM
Aaron, thanks for posting that link. I was not aware of its existance. Registered and, lo and behold, the names of several comrades popped up. Sadly, and unknown to me, a couple had fallen but perhaps contacts can be renewed. Again, many, many thanks.

Aaron Berk
02-22-2009, 3:06 PM
Semper Fi Tom.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-22-2009, 3:56 PM
only USMC member site I find is restricted. Suggestions?

As it should be. But you can contact the SYSOP or administrator and explain what you have and ask if they will help locate the owner.

Mike Langford
02-22-2009, 5:47 PM
Thanks for the link Aaron.....I just registered at the Army.TogetherWeServed.com site!

Haven't run across any comrades yet, but I was only active for 3 years....

Dave Anderson NH
02-22-2009, 7:41 PM
Tom, Together we served is an interesting place. I registered about a month ago and was able to find out about a number of people I served in Vietnam with. Unfortunately, several are listed now as Fallen Brothers since they died days, weeks, or months after I went home or after I was transfered from my previous unit. Navy corpsmen who served with us are also eligible to join as full members.

Semper Fi

Dewey Torres
02-23-2009, 2:00 AM
So do you have it now or do I need to look today at work?

Belinda Barfield
02-23-2009, 9:07 AM
Michael,

My friend is in the U.S. and will check today. I just sent him the correct name this morning. I'll let you know if he has any luck.

Michael Weber
02-23-2009, 9:31 AM
As it should be. But you can contact the SYSOP or administrator and explain what you have and ask if they will help locate the owner.

Thanks for the suggestion Cliff. I did that and they replied but have not record of his membership.

Michael Weber
02-23-2009, 9:35 AM
Dewey and Belinda, appreciate you both checking. At Cliffs suggestion I contacted the sysop of the Marinetogetherweserved site but say he is not a member. So, the search continues.
Thanks, Mike

Belinda Barfield
02-23-2009, 1:50 PM
Mike,

I just sent you an e-mail. I think we found your man. It's only gonna' cost you some teaching time in silversmithing. ;) Actually, I just wire wrap cabs and a few other things, but I would like to work my way up.

Please let us know the outcome.

Michael Weber
02-23-2009, 4:26 PM
Wonderful! Going to call after work here and see. Haven't done much metal work lately, kind of moved on from that to woodworking. Before silversmithing it was making neon. Neighbors said it looked like I had the garage from hell when the burners were going and transformers flashing. Still have the metal working tools so maybe someday I'll get started again. I have a character flaw that prevents me from sticking to anything for very long:(

Rory Talkington
02-24-2009, 6:56 PM
Thanks Aaron, that's the first site I found but unfortunately is restricted to former Jar Heads so I couldn't even get past the front door.

Thanks for capitolizing Jar Head.....:D

Normally...only Jar Heads can call Jarheads a "Jar Head."

Lee Schierer
02-24-2009, 7:19 PM
Take the uniform to you local recruiter and have them determine if it is a current version of the uniform You may be searching for an individual who was a Marine in WWII, Korea or Viet Nam. Without an SSN you are going to have a tough time locating the individual through military channels unless the name was unique. You can do a "White Pages" look up of the name on the internet and get telephone listings for people with the same name in your area and any other areas. It takes time, but you can call them and many times locate a relative. We did this to locate classmates from high school and college.

Ben Davis
02-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Mike,

PM me. I'm on board Camp Lejeune and can get you his last known address to the DoD.

Doc

Belinda Barfield
02-25-2009, 8:38 AM
Thanks for capitolizing Jar Head.....:D

Normally...only Jar Heads can call Jarheads a "Jar Head."

I was wondering how long it was gonna' take for one you guys to bust him on that! :D

AL Ursich
02-25-2009, 9:18 PM
Mike,

PM me. I'm on board Camp Lejeune and can get you his last known address to the DoD.

Doc

This is most likely the best bet... Being retired Navy I know how people move and loose track of uniforms. I know there are some still at my EX's house in San Diego.... A little game of hostage I didn't want to play.... I do miss the Cruise Jacket with about 14 countries on the back and a big Eagle, I had made in Naples..... I have 27 now but would need a bigger jacket if you know what I mean... Snicker.... :D

AL

Belinda Barfield
02-26-2009, 8:34 AM
I know there are some still at my EX's house in San Diego.... A little game of hostage I didn't want to play.... I do miss the Cruise Jacket with about 14 countries on the back and a big Eagle, I had made in Naples.....
AL

Some things are worth fighting for . . .