PDA

View Full Version : Saw the Maloof Historical Residence today

Brian Kent
02-19-2009, 10:09 PM
I have lived in Southern California since 1969, but today was the first time I took advantage of the $10 tour of Sam Maloof's historical residence. I went with 2 other friends and there were a total of 5 of us plus the guide.

The furniture and architecture were just plain inspiring. He has lots of other art collections including Southwestern pottery, watercolors, and much more.

Of course the chairs were the most awesome part. One is available to sit in. It has such marvelous body-fitting support, especially in the lower back and arms.

I also saw a walnut dining table that is the first design I want to imitate. I couldn't take pictures, but the structure beneath the table was so clean and beautiful.

I highly recommend this tour if you live in or travel through Southern California.

One more thing, I think I got to see just a glimpse of him in his silver Porsche.

Joe Jensen
02-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Two summers ago I was able to take a one day Sam Maloof course through a university in California (forgot which one). The course was not hands on, but Sam was to do the tour, and then spend most of the day showing us the entire process from concept all the way to finish. Sam started the day with a lecture in the gallery but he didn't feel well and had to leave to rest. (he was like 88 at the time so we were understanding). A couple of hours later he came back spent the rest of the day with us. He felt really bad about missing the couple of hours (lunch was one of the two hours) so he also gave us a private tour of his current living residence. Some of the more amazing things were;
1) WOW, huge amounts of amazing wood. Three large barns. They estimated $3M or so of inventory, and they guessed it was good for 20 years or more of production.
2) He and his three apprentices do about 50 pieces a year. Prices average over $50K each.
3) Sam works 10 hours a day, 6 days a week with very little time off. He doesn't consider it work.
4) All the pieces are sized to be perfect for Sam. He is about 5'6" tall and about 120lbs.
5) They had a 7 year backlog back then.
6) Of the three apprentices, the longest one was the first Sam ever hired, and he started when he was a teenager. He is like 50 today. The one there the shortest time had been there over 20 years. Sam doesn't have much turnover.
7) Sam is still shocked at what people pay for his work. I wouldn't call it humble, more like amazement.
8) Sam is leaving a francshise that will continue to build his designs the same way as they are done today. Not sure how well the ones that Sam didn't touch will sell.The ownership is as follows
- 1/4 for his second wife (first passed years ago)
- 1/4 for his daughter
- the remaining to his three apprentices
9) Sam spends about 1/ week roughing out the pieces and jointing them together. The other three apprentices spend a week each smoothing, sanding, and finishing. A chair takes 4 weeks of their time, which is 60 hours of highly skilled time, and keep in mind that these guys have been doing the same things for 40 years. 200-250 hours for a chair with this talent and experience.
10) Nice tools, but not an elaborate shop. Just the tools needed for the work they do. Space was tight.
11) I got a sense that Sam would prefer to do new and different things, but he couldn't turn down commisions for the existing pieces. Almost as if he didn't realize that he didn't need to work for money.
12) He is an artist and not an engineer. All throughout the day he would stop and point out something that his astute eye caught. Grain, flowers, the view, pottery, etc

At the end of the day, we sat in Sam's kitchen while he autographed the books we bought in the gift shop. It was an amazing day. A buddy and I flew in from Phx to Orange county the night before, and then spent Sat from 9am-5pm. I only wish I had taken a week a few years earlier when Sam taught one week long classes on how to build his rocker. He said in the class that 90% of the students never finishes. They would leave with all the parts and joints cut but most would never get the next couple hunderd hours with rasps and sandpaper finishing it.

Andrew Gibson
02-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Sounds like a great day.

I did a presentation on Sam for my art studio class last year, no one had ever heard of him before... I guess most people are not into furniture...

Brian Kent
02-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Sam is 92 or 93 now and has cut back to 5 days per week. He still assembles every chair - 50 per year - and turns them over to the others.

He still does the one day class through University of California at Riverside, but the 40 spaces are full before the class can even be announced.

Alan DuBoff
02-20-2009, 2:00 AM
You lucky dog!

I've never gotten down there when it's open, one day, one day...yes, one day...hopefully...;)

Brian Penning
02-20-2009, 5:34 AM
Help me out with the math here....
They produce just about 1 piece a week @ 50K(2.5 mil a year?)
Rockers are 50K now? Wowza!
Takes 4 weeks to make 1 chair/rocker so they're making several chairs at the same time.....
Avg. 225 hrs a chair X 50 chairs = 11,250 hrs.
11,250 hrs / 4 guys? = 2800 hrs a year ea. guy.
2800 / 50 weeks = 56 hr week.
I dunno, I lose meself adding everything up...:confused::)

2) He and his three apprentices do about 50 pieces a year. Prices average over $50K each.
9) Sam spends about 1/ week roughing out the pieces and jointing them together. The other three apprentices spend a week each smoothing, sanding, and finishing. A chair takes 4 weeks of their time, which is 60 hours of highly skilled time, and keep in mind that these guys have been doing the same things for 40 years. 200-250 hours for a chair with this talent and experience.

Joe Jensen
02-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Help me out with the math here....
They produce just about 1 piece a week @ 50K(2.5 mil a year?)
Rockers are 50K now? Wowza!
Takes 4 weeks to make 1 chair/rocker so they're making several chairs at the same time.....
Avg. 225 hrs a chair X 50 chairs = 11,250 hrs.
11,250 hrs / 4 guys? = 2800 hrs a year ea. guy.
2800 / 50 weeks = 56 hr week.
I dunno, I lose meself adding everything up...:confused::)

Sam does one chair a week (about 50 a year). He then passes to assistant #1 who spends a week roughing the shape. He passes to assistant #2 who smooths. He then passes to assistant #3 who finish sands and finishes. Takes 4 weeks of calendar time per chair, and 4 weeks of manpower per chair. They claimed to work 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. Said Sam was there all the time. He missed a couple of months a few years ago after a serious illness, but other than that, he is a machine.

One more thing, I have another friend who visited Sam's place recently and he said they now claim a 10 year backlog.

Gary Muto
02-20-2009, 4:16 PM
I'll work 56 hrs for a piece of that action

Victor Stearns
02-21-2009, 5:51 PM
I think give the opportunity I would work for Sam, for free, just to learn from a true Master. I have one of Sam's books and read it basically cover to cover over the course of 3-days. Just amazing. I have also found a series on the Wood Working Channel in which Sam constructs a chair, explaining all aspects, along with his view on life. Just amazing. I only hope that when I'm 90+ my kids will still listen!;-)
Thanks
Victor