PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine Diamond Dressing Jig

Bob Haverstock
02-19-2009, 7:49 PM
Folks,

I think that many of you have a Wolverine Sharpening System, what is your thoughts on the diamond dressing jig? Is it worth the $$? Have any of you made an alternative tool to support the diamond dresser?

Bob Haverstock

RL Johnson
02-19-2009, 7:57 PM
I did not think it was worth the price, I bought the little Tee handled one from Woodcraft. Works well enough for me but you should try and use all of the grinding wheel face and not make a groove. That way you do not have to square up much of the stone.

Gordon Seto
02-19-2009, 8:14 PM
The diamond dressing jig does a better job truing up the wheel to perfectly round. The handheld T handle dresser tends to follow the wheel if it is out of round. You have to anchor the dresser firmly to the platform to true the wheel.
The Oneway jig is not as easy to set up as compared to this one:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/557342e5.jpg
I got this one from Bill Grumbine.
http://wonderfulwood.com/tool.html
I find the set up on this one is more convenience and fast. You can do without it. I would recommend this over the Oneway.

Steve Campbell
02-19-2009, 9:22 PM
Bob I have the wolverine wheel dresser. It sure works better than the T-style. It does a great job of getting the wheel round and square. All that said, I sure do like the one that Gordon just posted. How much do they get for that one.

Good luck. Steve

Scott Conners
02-19-2009, 9:23 PM
I find the Oneway finicky and not solid enough - you have to be *really* careful about your pressure on the arm when swinging the diamond back and forth, because it has a fair bit of flex in it. I've taken to putting a rubber band around the arms to hold forward pressure and trying my damndest to just move it sideways and not in and out, but on my 150g wheel I can almost never get a pass without some small striations.
The adjustment knob's threads are also far too short, which means you have to get the arm clamped just perfect with the diamond within 1/16" of the wheel or you won't have enough travel. This added to the fact that the clamping mechanism causes the diamond to move forward almost 1/8" as it's clamped means a lot of fiddling to get it clamped into place, and if the wheel is heavily cupped you may have to move it at least once. It does make for a nice round flat wheel however, and is far better than the T-handled one I had, which left grooves on the 150g wheel and didn't help for out of round wheels.

I also learned the hard way that you have to take *very* light cuts with a single point dresser, or you'll fracture your diamond.

Gordon, How much does the one Bill Grumbine sells cost? It seems like it might be a better solution.

Gordon Seto
02-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Steve & Scott,

Bill Grumbine did a demo for our Club and next day a hands-on class. He pulled that thing out of his tool box to true up the wheels of our Club grinder at the class. The wheels were in poor shape and couldn't find the dresser for a long time. We saw it and loved it. He happened to have an extra to sell. I honestly forgot what I paid. I believe it was close to the price of the Oneway diamond dresser which I already own. This is definitely a better mouse trap. He is a classy guy. If he introduced this thing at the demo, probably he could have sold some more.
You can follow the link I posted and email Bill for price.

Jim Becker
02-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Yes, I think it's worth it for truing the wheels perfectly round. The hand-held dressers are great for...dressing/cleaning...but not for reconditioning the wheel relative to it's diameter and squareness to the rests/jig.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes, I think it's worth it for truing the wheels perfectly round. The hand-held dressers are great for...dressing/cleaning...but not for reconditioning the wheel relative to it's diameter and squareness to the rests/jig.

Bingo! Give the man a cigar!

Dennis Yoder
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Don Geiger manufactures a dresser very simular to the one posted. I have used it and it trues and surfaces the wheel. Dongeiger.com

Bill Noce
02-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Don Geiger's Wheel Dresser cost $87.and change plus shipping. I think Bill Grumbine's is about the same price.

Doug Thompson
02-20-2009, 12:07 AM
I have the one in Gordon's picture from Bill Grumbine plus the Oneway. Put it this way... I don't know where the Oneway jig is right now because it's never used.

Bob Haverstock
02-20-2009, 3:47 PM
Thanks guys for your input. I will study the dressers some more before I decide.

Bob Haverstock