PDA

View Full Version : Uh 'cuse me mister, could I have your tree

Brian Brown
02-19-2009, 7:19 PM
I found this growing on a ditch bank a couple of miles from my house. It is about 40-50 feet tall, and the first 8-9 feet is solid burl. The rest of the tree is covered in burls that range from golf ball to basketball. Anybody know what kind of tree it is? It may be Box elder, but I have never seen a BE with branches so densly packed. Maybe the branches grow that way because of the burl???

Bob Noles
02-19-2009, 7:44 PM
No idea what it is, but it sure looks like enough for all of us ;):D:p

David Christopher
02-19-2009, 8:34 PM
No idea what it is, but it sure looks like enough for all of us ;):D:p

Im with Bob

Ryan Baker
02-19-2009, 8:47 PM
You're going to leave us hanging? Is he going to let you have it / buy it?

Curt Fuller
02-19-2009, 8:47 PM
Yup, that sure is Box Elder. Don't know why but something about growing near water, a stream or a ditch, seems to make them grow burls like that.

Kirk Miller
02-19-2009, 9:34 PM
Brian
I grew up in Southeast Idaho and remember seeing quite a few trees on some of the farms I worked. I always wondered if they would have some interesting figure to them. That was way before my lathe days so I guess the writing was there. There is a tree up the road from me that I have my eyes on. It has a HUGE burl hanging off of it I think it is on a city easement, and I think I know the person to call if it gets taken down my the wind.........:)

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2009, 9:59 PM
Have to admit I have never seen anything quite like it! Not exactly a pretty tree but I have seen some beautiful turnings out of box elder.

Jim Koepke
02-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey, I am only one state over. If need be, I can bring a chain saw and a truck. :)

jim

Barry Stratton
02-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Yup, that sure is Box Elder. Don't know why but something about growing near water, a stream or a ditch, seems to make them grow burls like that.

Streams and ditches is where all that Round-up and fertilizers end up:)

Cool lookin tree! And I've found it nver hurts to ask.....worst they can say is "no, now get off my land".

Leo Van Der Loo
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
It almost looks like Ash to me, but I can't tell for sure on that picture, but whatever it is, it must be pretty sick, so you better help it out of it's misery :rolleyes: :eek: :D

curtis rosche
02-22-2009, 9:23 AM
if you get that we are going to have to gang up on you and kill you and steal your lathe and take the wood. you are so lucky if you get that