PDA

View Full Version : Walnut finish - any idea what happened here?

Larry Fox
02-19-2009, 6:47 PM
I just recently finished a walnut vanity and something odd has happened to it and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what caused it.

Pic below.

The particulars:

- Air dried walnut
- Finish schedule
+ sanded to 220 / Festool paper
+ BLO allowed to dry for 5 days
+ 2x coats of orange Hock dewaxed shellac. First sanded with Norton 3x 320 paper and the second sanded with Mirka Bulldog Gold 400 grit (sterate-free).
+ Last coat allowed to dry for 2 days
+ 3x coats of Target Hybrvar sprayed on. Temperature at the time was about 70-degrees.
- The issue seems to be below the surface as you can't feel anything abnormal when you run your hand across it.

Couple of things enter my mind as possibilities.

1) There was a kero heater going when I was spraying the Hybrvar but I would expect a fisheye or something if that were the cause.
2) The Hybrvar was a bit old (~8 months) but this is happening very locally and the finish is otherwise beautiful.
3) About an hour after I sprayed it, I carried it down into the basement to dry because shop not heated at all times. Basement is about 55-degrees with no humidity to speak of. Temperature difference and condensation possibly might be a factor but not sure.

This is not glue. It didn't show up when I checked with Naptha after preparing the surface or at any point in the schedule. It shows up at a couple of different spots, not just the one pictured but theone pictured is the worst.

Stumped - anyone have any ideas. Fortunately this piece is for my master bath and not for a client or something so I can live with it but I am NOT happy about it.

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

Larry

Conrad Fiore
02-19-2009, 7:34 PM
Larry,
Post this on the Target Forum.
I'm sure Jeff Weiss will help you with this one.

Larry Fox
02-19-2009, 7:42 PM
Larry,
Post this on the Target Forum.
I'm sure Jeff Weiss will help you with this one.

Thanks for the time Conrad. I will give that a shot but I am not sure finishing products are the culprit here. Jeff is a pretty smart guy though so he might have some general thoughts.

Mark Lambert
02-19-2009, 8:15 PM
Did you use a tack rag?

Had a similar issue was contamination from a tack rag.

Mark

Larry Fox
02-19-2009, 8:39 PM
Nope - no tack rag. :(

Another piece to the puzzle is that this didn't show up for a few days.

glenn bradley
02-19-2009, 8:46 PM
I am no help to you Larry but I am truly sorry that happened.

Jim Becker
02-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Some folks have reported issues with that particular shellac recently, if I'm remembering correctly...