PDA

View Full Version : Workbench tops

Harry Niemann
02-19-2009, 5:09 PM
What's the best way to flatten or true up a maple workbench top?

Frank Drew
02-19-2009, 5:40 PM
Harry,

Depends on how much it's out, but, barring access to big machinery, I'd probably use hand planes guided by straight edges and winding sticks.

David Giles
02-19-2009, 6:44 PM
You will find lots of power tool solutions to this problem, but a #5 jack plane or jointer plane is the best solution. (I think that's what a mid-sized plane is called. I'm not a hand tool guy.) Flattening the workbench was my reason to add a third plane to my limited WW arsenal. And it worked like a champ. Plane across the bench until humps or hollows disappear, then plane diagonal until it's flat and smooth. Sand or scrape as desired. Messing up can be fixed with some more planing! Probably takes 30-45 minutes total.

It's a great way to practice with a new plane!

Tom Adger
02-19-2009, 7:19 PM
I just finished my first workbench. To flatten the top, I made a router sled. I have attached some photos. I used a 1" bottom cleaning bit in the router. Google "router flattening sled" or words to that effect. You will find lots of links. My top turned out great. Just a little work with my RO sander, an it was ready to finish. A word of caution: Your top will only be as flat as your guide rails are staight. I ran mine through my jointer first.

There are those who have the skill level (or claim they do) to flatten the top with a hand plane. I don't. If you use the above method, you top will be at least as flat as the hand plane purists, and probably quite a bit more so.

John Sanford
02-19-2009, 9:24 PM
Find a hungry (or thirsty) Galoot and offer him $10 or a rusty chisel! :D