PDA

View Full Version : Making micro mesh last

Aaron Wingert
02-19-2009, 3:37 PM
I just got my first set of micro mesh sanding pads. I gave something close to $20 for the set of 9 pads, approximately 3x3" each with abrasive on both sides. Although they'll probably see other use, they were primarily purchased for turning small projects like pens and stoppers.

My question is what can I do to make these things last and not clog up? If I sand cocobolo or another oily wood with them will I ruin them very quickly?

Any tips and pointers on using micro mesh and not ruining it on the first project?

Don Carter
02-19-2009, 3:53 PM
Aaron:
I use MM and I tend to wipe them off on my jeans as they get clogged. My wife loves this about me.;)
I also wash them when they get very dirty.
My only caution is don't put a lot of pressure on them. Let them do the job for you, and they last a long time.

All the best.

Don

Gordon Thompson
02-19-2009, 4:08 PM
Aaron:

My only caution is don't put a lot of pressure on them.

particularily the finer grade ones....you will burn right thru the abrasive layer real quick.

Steve Busey
02-19-2009, 4:20 PM
When mine clog up, I hit them with my sanding belt "big eraser", then give them a blast of air. Google "sanding belt cleaner"

Belton Garvin
02-19-2009, 4:42 PM
They should last quite a while. Once the clog up simply put them in a sock bag and throw them in the laundry. I usually just take them to the sink and put some dish soap on them and rub them with my fingers. Seems to work alright. I still have my first set of MM and I have put out over 50 pens and 15 bottle stoppers. Still plenty of life in them. I usually wet sand with them and that seems to make them stay clean longer.

Do not get them hot. They melt quickly. That is responsible for most of the damage to MM.

David Walser
02-19-2009, 5:12 PM
There are two keys to long lasting Micro Mesh: Avoid excessive heat and avoid excessive pressure.

Wet sanding helps with the first key. The water helps carry away any heat from friction. It also helps keep the MM clean. (I rinse each grit of MM after it's used and before going on to the next grit.) On most of my wooden turnings, I dry sand through 320 or 400 grit sandpaper and then apply a coat of Deft lacquer as a sealer. (I apply the lacquer liberally on the lathe and then, after about a minute, wipe off the excess with a paper towel. I then turn the lathe on (at sanding speed -- slow!) and use a clean piece of paper towel to "burnish" the lacquer. I then start wet sanding with 1,500 MM and work up through the grits to 12,000. (This assumes I'm looking for a high gloss finish. If I'm not, I'm not using MM anyway.) The lacquer seems to seal the wood such that the wet sanding does not raise the grain or cause other problems.

For plastics, I wet sand with both sandpaper and MM.

HTH

Steve Trauthwein
02-20-2009, 6:59 AM
I don't use the pads, but I do use the micro mesh. I buy it in 3x6 strips and cut it in half for using on super glue finish on pens.

I washed mine in the washing machine, scrubbed it with a tooth brush and tried various other methods to get extended use from it. The method I now use is the easiest and the most efficient. Whenever I use it I soak it in water and use it wet. It simply does not clog, ever.

Regards, Steve