PDA

View Full Version : Variation of strips in Alder Plaque

Michael Doyle
02-19-2009, 3:08 PM
Hi everyone,
I just got some Alder Plaques - this is my first use of Alder - it is also larger than most of my other work. This is a 7"x9" piece.
Here is my question -
Are all of the Alder plaques being sold made from glued up stock, and if so is this about what I can expect for contrasting color from strip to strip within the Plaque?
Epilog Helix 45 W 600 dpi 50 speed 100 power.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/selyod/WeddingCoatofArmsPlaque-1.jpg

Dee Gallo
02-19-2009, 3:16 PM
Michael,

I don't have any help for you, but just wanted to say WOW is that beautiful!

:D dee

Scott Erwin
02-19-2009, 3:39 PM
The last shipment of 7x9 Alder Wood plaques I received had 3 bands in it and the upper and lower bands are almost the same color, where the center is a little bit darker than the outers. One of the frames that I just pulled from shelf stock is nearly the same in all three bands, only a very minimal difference but I have to say this is rare to get them this close. --

From the look of your photo, it appers the three strips are all very different colors going from dark (top) to light (bottom), but that could be just from the photo.

If you need them to be the same color all the way through or closer in color, you might consider getting hold of a woodworker (on the other forums) and see if they can make some for you that may fit your need(s) better.

BTW- Dee is correct....very nice looking.

Steve Clarkson
02-19-2009, 3:56 PM
Michael,

That is fantastic!

By the way.....can you tell me where I might get either free or some type of CD with various family names with their coat of arms?

Anthony Welch
02-19-2009, 4:25 PM
Steve,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41002&highlight=coat+arms

Second page, post #22.

Anthony

Bill Parker
02-19-2009, 4:27 PM
The ones from JDS are the glue together type, with about 90% of a case that will be fairly close in color. But every once in a while, you will get one that makes you wonder what they were thinking.

Michael Doyle
02-19-2009, 9:21 PM
Thanks Dee I'm glad you like it, and thanks to eveyone else who replied.
I looked at sites selling Alder Plaques, and some hade fairly uniform colored strips, while others looke more like my picture.
It's probably just a craps shoot as to what you wind up with.

Mike Null
02-19-2009, 9:31 PM
Michael

Sorry, I thought I responded earlier. I think you can get what you want at Colorado Heirloom.

Beautful work, by the way.

Steve Chalmers
02-20-2009, 8:52 AM
Having experienced the same irritation over obvious banding by using multiple strips of wood on purchased alder plaques, I started making my own. While there may be a seam, I match the grain and cut the pieces from the same stock.

The color variation is minimal this way. In shipping out a couple dozen finished plaques a month, I've yet to experience the problem since I started doing my own, and in fact, sell blanks to local competitors.

Steve

Steve Clarkson
02-20-2009, 9:14 AM
Thanks Anthony