PDA

View Full Version : Performax 16-32 outfeed

Jonathan Spool
02-19-2009, 3:03 PM
I just snatched a mint Performax 16-32, with lots of sanding rolls, and the stand, for $400 off of CL! Only 10 minutes away to boot!
OK. enough with the gloat.
It does not have extension tables.
Before I go out and purchase a set, can I get some feedback from users of this sander as to whether I should go with the OEM tables, or build something better myself?
Anyone built a combo of infeed, side support, outfeed, tables for an open ended sander?
Jonathan

Anthony Whitesell
02-19-2009, 3:16 PM
I have a Jet 16/32 without the tables because they don't fold. They are fixed in place making the sander too large for my shop. Someday I will construct a cabinet with folding feed tables and ditch the goofy and almost useless stand.

frank shic
02-19-2009, 4:00 PM
i've heard the outfeed/infeed tables are a pain to align. i just support the piece manually as it feeds in and as it feeds out.

Rob Diz
02-19-2009, 4:10 PM
Try it for a while without an infeed/outfeed.

I have the tables on an older Performax 16/32 I picked up a month or so ago. I have used the sander, but have not had the need to install the extension tables. I have not found any noticeable snipe.

Try using the drum sander for a few months w/o the extension tables. That's what I'm doing (I have limited space, and the tables take space I don't ahve to give). If I need 'em, I'll figure a way to get it to work with 'em. If I don't install the tables for another decent sized project or two, I may very well be listing 'em for sale. But given the speed (or lack thereof) we could easily be talking 6-12 months before I make that decision.

Bob Rufener
02-19-2009, 4:13 PM
I also concur with using it without additional outfeed tables. Generally, the pieces you put through the sander, are not 6-10' long-much shorter and support, other than your hands, is not necessary.

abram godshall
02-19-2009, 4:51 PM
I had that sander with the infeed/outfeed tables from Performax and it was really, really difficult to get them aligned both vertically and horizontally and even more of a pain to keep them aligned. I finally sold the unit and got SCTW 15/30 which I love.

Jonathan Spool
02-19-2009, 6:37 PM
Thanks. I assumed the tables folded up like on a DW735 planer.
I'll take your advice and use the sander as is for a while.
Thanks again,
Jonathan

Michael Weber
02-19-2009, 7:03 PM
Just because no one else said it. YOU SUCK!:p
but you probably already knew that.

Dewey Torres
02-19-2009, 7:48 PM
If you do decide to build them look at this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=86065

Russell Tribby
02-19-2009, 8:04 PM
Jon, here's what I ended up doing. It's worked well.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88744

Dewey Torres
02-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey Russ... It was YOUR THREAD I POSTED ABOVE!

I had it saved in my "to do" folder.:cool: