PDA

View Full Version : The first day of my new life

Scott Coffelt
07-09-2004, 4:19 PM
Well, the day I thought would come has. Me and about 1000 other folks got the word yesterday. I have till 7/16 and then its time to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

17 years with Sprint, and the reign is coming to it's end. In a way, I am glad as they have lost their direction and the rich at the top just get richer, while to poor get poorer. This time it was about who knew who and not about who did what. I learned alot in my time there, along with a paid education to get my MBA, so for that I thank them and the friends I got to know.

I'll keep you up to date on my decisions.

And for you fools who want to get political, don't.

Dennis Peacock
07-09-2004, 4:29 PM
Scott,

Sorry to hear about your layoff. I ain't gettin' political on ya but the company I work for is headed that way as well. More layoffs are coming to our company again shortly. I wish you the best my friend and I hope you find something that you "want to do" and enjoy. May it be better than ever for you and your family.

Bruce Page
07-09-2004, 4:31 PM
Scott, hang in there, you will make it through this.

Hey! Now you'll be able to watch qualifying on Fridays, maybe even go to a race or two! :cool:

Mark Singer
07-09-2004, 4:34 PM
Scott,
Times like this will lead to better things. Be strong and move forward.

Waymon Campbell
07-09-2004, 4:56 PM
Scott - Sorry to hear about the layoffs. When my dad was alive he used to tell me that as one door closes another will open. Here's hoping that the door that opens for you has many rewards on the other side!

Michael Perata
07-09-2004, 5:58 PM
Scott

I know the feeling. 4 years ago, I and five hundred of my fellow employees at KPMG Consulting got walked out the door (Sprint was one of my clients at the time).

I landed on my feet, and you will too. Don't give up trying, and when you hit the street, don't stop running.

Tyler Howell
07-09-2004, 6:22 PM
Wow! You and all the families are in my prayers.:o

Scott Coffelt
07-09-2004, 6:43 PM
Thanks guys, I realize that my feelings could change but I am actually lookign forward to it this time. I know what to expect, so now its just time for me to figure out what the next thing is. I am definitely looking into buying a house (fixer upper) and trying to turn it quickly and with a profit. Other than that will require some soul searching and other research. I've got about 38 weeks of severance coming my way so I have some time, not too much but some time to get something going.

Chris Padilla
07-09-2004, 8:03 PM
Scott,

Best of luck and always try to put a positive spin on things. There are reasons beyond us sometimes why things happen but they happen for a reason. Your time was up and you are meant for something else. Relish this chance that was forced upon you and make a difference!

I bet there are things you've always wondered about or would like to try. You now have the opportunity! Go do it!

See ya in September...you still gotta pick me arse up at the 'port!! :D :D

JayStPeter
07-09-2004, 8:42 PM
I was layed off last year. It turned out to be a great thing for me and my family. Here's hoping you fare equally well.

Jay

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Hang in there Scott! You're in our thoughts and prayers!

Terry Hatfield
07-10-2004, 1:09 AM
Scott,

We certainly wish you all the best. Sounds like you have a really good attitude toward the whole thing and that is sure to help. Keep us posted.

Terry

Ian Barley
07-10-2004, 2:26 AM
Been in similar position myself a couple of times. It always works out and usually for the better. Good luck.

Ed Falis
07-10-2004, 9:57 AM
... This time it was about who knew who and not about who did what. ...

It often is, unfortunately.

Same thing happened to me in 2000 after 16 years at a sofware company that I helped found. Some yoyo calls me on the phone to tell me I don't have a job anymore. 6 mos later they're begging me to come back because the new management "hadn't realized who they laid off".

But I was very lucky - found a new job in 2 weeks, and a much better one it's been.

Best wishes on your new adventures. Be sure to keep your online support group informed.

- Ed

Jim Becker
07-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Scott, someone already mentioned that there is always a good reason lurking out there...the true test we all face is to turn "adversity" into "advantage". Go for it! Sometimes a change in pace can be wonderful.

Jerry Olexa
07-10-2004, 9:37 PM
In my business experience, generally when something like this happens altho there is initial pain, the person usually improves his/her place in life. Have a positive attitude, work hard during the transition, be patient, keep your faith and you'll be fine!! Jerry

Kent Cori
07-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Scott,

I'm sorry to hear about the layoff but happy to hear about the severance package. That should give you some time to decide what new direction to head. Those types of decisions are best made after you have a little time for reflection. I'm sure you'll land on your feet whatever you decide. Good luck!