PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive for dimensional letters to wall?

Scott Shepherd
02-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I have a batch of letters I have made and need to install tomorrow, stud mount. Only issue I have is I haven't ordered any quick drying adhesive. I did a quick look around the BORG's and everything seems to be a caulk, not a quick(er) drying adhesive. Any recommendations on an adhesive I can use that's readily available? The wall is curved, so taping isn't an option (it's complicated to explain, but it's not an option), so I'm looking for a silicone adhesive that's fast drying and easy to get.

Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
02-19-2009, 11:00 AM
What are the letters made of, and what kind of wall? For metal letters on concrete/brick/wood I normally will drill the holes just a hair smaller than the studs, blow the holes clean with air, apply regular silicone, then bop the letters with a rubber mallot with some foam or cloth taped onto it. No need to tape and wait for it to set up. For acrylic, foam or formed plastic letters it still works, but you have to carefully push them in a stud at a time with your palm.

For other surfaces, like one I did last week that had a polished dibond face,
I used a few bits of VHB tape on the backs of the letters to hold it while the silicone set up. That brings it off the wall ever so slightly but didn't matter in this case. You can use the one minute two part epoxy that dispenses both parts together but I pity you if you ever have to take the letters back off.

Scott Shepherd
02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
It's acrylic letters with studs I installed, going on a sheetrock wall. I've got everything set, I just need an adhesive. Since the wall is curved, I don't want to use tape (I don't have any either), because the letters will contact the wall in all different places. I'd prefer a silicone type that will stick well.

I'm assuming I'll have to blue tape them in place and come back on Monday and remove the tape? I can't have one fall. These have been professionally painted and are a pantone color. Last thing I need is a phone call telling me one fell and broke.

Joe Pelonio
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
That is a little different, studs on acrylic don't hold strongly enough for a lot of pounding. With a curved wall and holes drilled straight, the holes must be larger to allow for the angles.

Here's what I'd suggest. Buy the one-minute epoxy. Use regular silicone in the holes, then place the letter in. See where it contacts the wall. Pull back out part way, and put a small bit of the epoxy at that spot. Hold in place for 1 minute. Let go and the epoxy should hold it until the silicone sets up. Just be careful not to let that epoxy drip on anything.

If you do the blue tape, place transfer tape on the letters first, blue tape over it to the wall. Even blue tape can damage the painted letters. Also, peel from the wall real slowly.

Beware also, there may be metal plates behind the drywall to protect wires/pipes, so take along something to cut any studs that can't go all the way in. You'll know when you drill.

Scott Shepherd
02-19-2009, 1:35 PM
Thanks Joe, I'll give that a shot. I think I'm covered in the installation. I used very short studs, so the metal in the wall shouldn't be an issue. I think the studs stick out about 7/16", so we should be good.

The paint is a Polyurethane (Matthews), so it should be good and tough, but I'll be extra careful with the tape just in case. Thanks for that tip.

If I can get a break, I'll try and take some photos of the process so I can post it later.

Doug Bergstrom
02-20-2009, 2:00 PM
We use Loctite Power Grab. Comes in a pressurized can. Quick shot in the hold and it holds well. Bonds quickly.