PDA

View Full Version : BS Donut Cutter

Greg Crawford
02-19-2009, 10:05 AM
I've seen all manner of fixtures to cut circles. I used a router trammel to cut this circle, and then cut the center out. Low and behold, it was to large. I was going to use the router and bushings or a rabbeting bit, but no matter how I did it, the router was going to need to passes with different bits, plus would make a mess. After some contemplation, I came up with this for my bandsaw.

The feather board and push stick keep the piece against the "fence", with the bungy and only one clamp on the push stick helping keep tension without binding. I wouldn't recommend it for cabinet grade work, but for a shop fixture, it worked great.

I had never seen anything like it before, so thought I'd share with others in case they ever come across the same need.

ROY DICK
02-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Greg,

Clever idea. Now just call it a bandsaw donut cutting system and Cha Ching $$$. Thanks for sharing your idea.

Roy

Greg Crawford
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
For the big $$$, it would have to use magnets to attach to the table!

Glad to share, especially after all the generosity shown by everyone else.

glenn bradley
02-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks for sharing Greg. What ever gets the job done is OK by me. that's a neat solution.

Chris Padilla
02-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Bandsaws are great! They are such a much more calmer, milder cutting tool compared to a Table Saw....

Bill Huber
02-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Great idea, I have to put this one in the bookmarks under great ideas and remember its there the next time I need something like that.

Now I do have a question.

I noticed on your saw that it looks like you have to take the fence rail off every time to change a blade, is that right?

Greg Crawford
02-19-2009, 1:36 PM
Bill,

Since the slot is oriented front to back, the front fence rail does have to come off to change blades. Rikon built it with a quick on-off system of 4 wing nuts for the rail. When it comes to changing wide blades, not having to twist them to remove them is much nicer. I like it.

Greg

Bill Huber
02-19-2009, 3:22 PM
Bill,

Since the slot is oriented front to back, the front fence rail does have to come off to change blades. Rikon built it with a quick on-off system of 4 wing nuts for the rail. When it comes to changing wide blades, not having to twist them to remove them is much nicer. I like it.

Greg

Thanks, I can see were that would be nice with a wide blade.

Chris Padilla
02-19-2009, 3:30 PM
Bill,

Minimax bandsaws are like that as well although one can mount the rail just far enough away so as to avoid having to remove the rail.

Lee Schierer
02-19-2009, 4:48 PM
Clever idea.

Another way that I have used is to stick a thin piece of plywood to the donut with double sided tape. Place double sided tape on the cut out center and gently put it back in the hole. Once it is centered by measuring, press down firmly and the double sided tape will hold it in place. Use your circle cutter for the bandsaw and recut the edge or use your router and trammel.