PDA

View Full Version : can I search for members in my area?

Jonathan Flachman
03-17-2003, 9:40 AM
Is there some way to search the members list by geographical area?

Just looking for other members in Minnesota.

Aaron Koehl
03-17-2003, 3:08 PM
I'm going to integrate the vbulletin member database
with a few postcode databases I have very soon-- this will
allow me to automagically create a map with dots for all of our 'Creekers, which is something no other forum has.

I for one am very interested in the range of locations for everyone here-- especially for those BBQs!

_Aaron_

Tom Sweeney
03-17-2003, 3:20 PM
Aaron - You DA Man!

automagically :D - Is that a Freudian slip or a new word thay taught you in college? It sure fits what you do. We ask for something & automagically it appears :cool:

Originally posted by Aaron Koehl
allow me to automagically create a map with dots for all of our 'Creekers, which is something no other forum has.

I for one am very interested in the range of locations for everyone here-- especially for those BBQs!

_Aaron_

Joe Suelter
03-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Good catch, Tom...I read it as he probably intended it, but you're right, it fits him & Keith pretty well!:) :)

Andy Hoyt
12-10-2005, 11:46 PM

_Aaron_

Hey Aaron, I've been searching for this very thing. Did it fizzle? Seem to recall that when I fell into the creek you wanted my long. and lat.

Aaron Koehl
12-12-2005, 9:01 AM
I did produce a map at one point, and will probably do so again after the holidays (and after these 12 hour days). I'd like to do something interactive, but nothing more granular than zip code-

Brett Baldwin
12-12-2005, 9:19 AM
Aaron, there is a pretty nifty beta program/site called Frappr that plots locations by zip code. It has some pretty detailed maps in the US and modest resolution worldwide. You may want to check it out. www.frappr.com (http://www.frappr.com)

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2005, 9:26 AM
Thanks, Aaron. My interest in this is related to finding other members near me, or in a specific region. I'm familiar with google's map and if the frappr thing works that may just be the ticket. Naturally, we'd have to let members opt in or out to respect their privacy, etc.

Lee DeRaud
12-12-2005, 11:25 AM
I'd like to do something interactive, but nothing more granular than zip code-That's plenty "granular" enough for this job. I suspect you could count on your fingers the number of zip codes that have more than one Creeker (unless they're related).

(I typed that...and then realized that I probably live in one of them: Jim McCarty's address is listed as "Anaheim Hills", most of which is in my zip code.)

Aaron Koehl
12-14-2005, 8:16 PM
Google Maps has an API (which Frappr uses). I was thinking about integrating that, which would keep the info local, rather than having members use another service (and having multiple "copies" of the data).

I am hoping after the holidays, this will be a viable project.