PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat, but Questions..?

Kaptan J.W. Meek
02-18-2009, 10:26 PM
HI everyone.. I finally get to do a wood gloat, a firefighter buddy of mine lost the top of a tree to hurricane Ike, and took it down last week. He calls me and asks if I want it, so I asked what it was. He didn't know, but from what he discribed, it sounded like a hackberry :-( 3 days later, he brings a piece to the firestation, and we look it over, and it wasn't hackberry. So after a few minutes on the internet, we decide that it's "red maple".. the leaves look right, but the wood looks just like every other maple I've turned.. I was able to get 6 big crotch pieces, and split two main pieces of the trunk, into chunks 14x14 square and 7-9" thick. The crotch pieces will be about the same size. I've sealed it up, and will start roughing the bowls out next week.. then dry 'em praying they don't split on me. Anyone have any experience with red maple?..

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Huh red maple???? What red maple???? I don't see any red maple. :D:rolleyes::cool:;)

Just kidding. Congrats on the wood gloat. I have turned what I was told was red maple but it sure looked like other maple I have turned also. It turned really nice for maple. The maple I got had a pinkish tint to it. Shoot if it is free it has got to be good to turn.:D

Dewey Torres
02-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Sorry...without the pics I can't believe it. That's the rule!

Richard Madison
02-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Good score and good luck with your wood. Hope it doesn't splack and crit on you.

Jim Kountz
02-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Hhmmm, possibly a total fabrication for all we know!!
Just kidding, congrats on the gloat!!

alex carey
02-19-2009, 2:49 AM
Free wood should always be gloated about. Congrats. Let's see some bowls.

ROY DICK
02-19-2009, 7:20 AM
Great gloat on free wood.
We will look forward to seeing the bowls .

Roy