PDA

View Full Version : General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal

Maylon Harvey
02-18-2009, 9:03 PM
I’m giving General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal a try as I’ve seen many members here use it very successfully. My question is do you buff it or just leave it as is after the last coat?

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Maylon I use General Finishes a lot. I don't buff mine but don't see why you couldn't. I just like the semi-gloss look it gives.

Jim Kountz
02-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Absolutely my go to finish for EVERYTHING practically. I will toy with other stuff but if its something special or for a customer (flat work, havent sold any turnings yet) I always use the General finishes. Never saw a need to buff them but no reason why you couldnt.
Give it a shot and let us see how it works out!!

Neal Addy
02-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I use Seal-A-Cell on most of my pieces. I love the look a buff gives it.

I'm not too keen on poly so I rarely use Arm-R-Seal. I prefer a more natural feel to the wood.

Maylon Harvey
02-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks Bernie, Jim and Neal for your replies. What I have done is one coat of Seal A Cell and 4 coats of Satin Arm R Seal. It sure was easy to put on without runs etc. After 4 coats it looks great, it does have a nice feel and slight sheen. But I think the Satin is a bit too dull. So I'm going to give it a slight buff after it cures for a few days. I want to try the Semi Gloss and the Gloss, do you have a source for these. Craft Supply, where I got mine, only carries the Satin.

Neal, when you use the Sea A Cell only and buff, what is your procedure, how many coats etc?

David Christopher
02-20-2009, 9:47 AM
Do you guys put this on while the piece is on the lathe ???

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2009, 10:46 AM

No David I put it on after it is completely turned and off the lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks Bernie, Jim and Neal for your replies.

I want to try the Semi Gloss and the Gloss, do you have a source for these. Craft Supply, where I got mine, only carries the Satin.

Neal, when you use the Sea A Cell only and buff, what is your procedure, how many coats etc?

Maylon I get my semi-gloss from Woodcraft in Denver. Rockler also carries all three. Satin, semi and gloss. I tried a pint of the gloss and it is just to much plastic look for me. So I just keep semi-gloss and satin on hand.

David Christopher
02-20-2009, 10:53 AM
No David I put it on after it is completely turned and off the lathe.

Bernie, do you buff ? dont want to hijack this thread but would like to know the steps and compounds for buffing

Maylon Harvey
02-21-2009, 10:53 PM

David,
This is how I do it and I guess you could say it is still on the lathe just a different one. After I turn the bowl, sand inside and out, take off scroll chuck, remount on vacuum chuck to turn and sand bottom, I’m ready to put on my finish of choice. If I use an oil finish, it’s easy, just wipe on, wipe off 2 or 3 coats wait a few days and 3 wheel buff. But any of the film finishes are a little harder. I’m sure there are easier/better ways that are used by others but this is how I do it. I hot glue one of the spindles I have made for this purpose to as close to the center of the bowl as I can. See pictures. I then put it on my metal lathe for 2 reasons, one is the low 70 RPM speed and the other is my spindle fits in the metal lathe 3 jaw scroll chuck. But the spindles could be made to match your wood lathe chuck. I then apply my multiple coats of finish with the lathe running. I have tried many applicators and the best I have found is a 1 inch foam brush. No lint or streaks. The hardest part is getting just the right amount of finish. Enough for coverage but not so much that it runs. I then take it off the lathe and stand it in a 2x4 that I have drilled holes to match the end of my spindle to dry. Let it dry over night put back on the lathe buff with 0000 steel wool, wipe with a tack rag and put on another coat. Keep doing this till I get the number of coats I want and that depends on the wood and the finish I’m using. I then clamp my spindle in the vice and holding TIGHTLY onto the bowl give it a whack with the heel of my hand to break it off. So far I haven’t broke or dropped one yet.:rolleyes: And the hot glue always stays on the end of the spindle, I guess because it is a little rough and the bowl bottom is 400 grit smooth. I then put the same number of coats on the bottom. It’s an awful lot of steps but it’s what works for me. Good thing I’m not a production turner, I’d starve to death.;) I would love to hear how others hold the bowl to put on film finishes.

Maylon Harvey
02-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Maylon I get my semi-gloss from Woodcraft in Denver. Rockler also carries all three. Satin, semi and gloss. I tried a pint of the gloss and it is just to much plastic look for me. So I just keep semi-gloss and satin on hand.

Thanks Bernie

David Christopher
02-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks Maylon that helps alot

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Bernie, do you buff ? dont want to hijack this thread but would like to know the steps and compounds for buffing

Most times when I use General Finishes if it for a utility item that I would eat from or sell to eat from I don't buff. If I do buff I wait 10 days or longer to make sure the finish has cured. If I do buff I use the tripoli and white diamond. I don't use wax on my turnings for utility purposes but use Renaissance wax or clear shoe polish on decorative items. If it is porous dark wood I skip the white diamond. You will have white spots all over.

David Christopher
02-21-2009, 11:48 PM
thanks Bernie !!!!!!!